Search the forum,

Discuss LPG or Oil- just moved in in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

First post, forgive me if this has been posted before.

We've just moved to a new home with an ageing LPG boiler (30 years old) tank is a 1200l calor tank.

The boiler is clearly old and inefficient. It also has some issues, for example if its on longer than an hour, an overflow pipe in the loft chucks out a few litres of hot water.

We want to replace it, but can't decide if to replace with a modern LPG boiler or go over to oil.

We assume capital outlay on oil is higher as we have to buy the tank. However, we are told by the neighbours (who are all on oil) that its cheaper in the long run.

It seems difficult to see what the current costs of LPG/ oil are, but from what I can tell per litre, LPG actually seems a bit cheaper??

We'd also (at some point) like to move to an unvented cylinder system as well- I assume these work with oil and LPG system?

I'd really appreciate some advise.

It is not the price per litre comparison that matters, but the useage of fuel type for heat required.
I would prefer oil myself, but as you say, you need to buy an oil tank which are expensive.
Oil or gas can heat an unvented cylinder.
If you do go with oil, the Grant Vortex oil boilers I prefer

so would that be cost per kHw?

Energy Cost Comparison | Nottingham Energy Partnership

Because even here the cost seems very close? Though clearly this is a snapshot of one month.

Thanks, I know nothing about boilers, I was looking at the Bosch Danesmore.

Side question, we were told because our house is old, 1988, the plumbing would not cope with the pressure of system boiler for the heating system- is this accurate?

I can’t see you recouping the outlay. Both are affected by the price of oil.
As you already have the infrastructure, I would replace with anew lpg boiler.

Thanks, I had thought that might be the case.

However, as Calor want £500 to give me a new tank (we want a larger one), this does cover some of the oil tank outlay.

It is not really the age of your heating system that matters when you change it to a sealed heating system, (system boiler). It is really just the quality of the system pipework joints that matter. Any old, leaky valves need to be replaced also.
To opt for an unvented cylinder will put high pressure on any existing hot water pipes to taps etc and any previously tank fed cold pipes.

Thanks, I had thought that might be the case.

However, as Calor want £500 to give me a new tank (we want a larger one), this does cover some of the oil tank outlay.
Have you tried another supplier? You might get one free.

i would speak to them as there normally free

Thanks, I'll ask them.

Am awaiting some quotes for oil systems too.

We're never intending to move, so we have a long time to recover the costs.

But the main aim is just getting a heating system that works reliably!

We have some money left after the move, about £8k which we'd ideally like to replace the boiler, tank and add an unvented cylinder with.

Just a thought what are you using for cooking ? also with LPG you could have gas fire, also take into account the cost of servicing & parts Oil vs LPG

house has electric for oven and hob.

Im a bit surprised, I assumed most people would be saying oil- if you google LPG or Oil then no one has a good word to say about LPG

Oil has its benefits, but lpg is cheaper to service. The boiler is smaller and nobody nicks it!

Boiler service charges will vary around the UK, so good idea to check local prices.
Servicing oil boilers in my area, for example, is same, or less than gas servicing and repairs on oil cheaper than gas.

First quote for a new LPG boiler is in, £3200. Calor will upgrade the tank for £150 after some discussion.

Will await some oil quotes to compare.

Condensing oil boiler, flue and tank will be more than that.

Depends on size of boiler and oil tank obviously.
The OP said they are thinking of a WB oil boiler, which will cost a fair bit.
A Grant Vortex and bunded oil tank probably £2k if standard size.

Depends on size of boiler and oil tank obviously.
The OP said they are thinking of a WB oil boiler, which will cost a fair bit.
A Grant Vortex and bunded oil tank probably £2k if standard size.
Where are you getting grant boilers from? Boiler and flue is 2k alone.

£1000 was laying the concrete base for the tank.

Worcester Danesmoor 25/32

Tank is a 1300l

Still sounds to me a lot of money.
The concrete base can be a big labour job, to be fair.
Everyone deserves properly paid and you have to factor in other materials like mag filter, firevalve, zone valves, plus flushing the system chemicals etc.
I would get other quotes.

Prices I am quoting are for only basic and smaller output Grant boiler, - a system boiler or separate components will be extra cost on top of that.
The Worcester boiler will be a more expensive choice also.
The 1300l tank is not the most costly tank size luckily

Couple of installers I work with have both gone over to fitting air source heat pumps, reckon running costs of the new inverter ones are a third of the cost of other fuels and run their own houses on it. With uncertainty over future of gas and oil supplies they tell me it is the way to go.

Indeed

What you you expect a Grant Vortex external 26-35w to cost?

I think we are leaning towards LPG given the very high cost of moving to oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to LPG or Oil- just moved in in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock