Search the forum,

Discuss Low pressure on the system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a customer who knows very little.
I have just had a wet UFH system added to an existing central heating system. The oil boiler is now supplying one half of the house with UFH and the other half radiators and a hot water tank.
The problem is that both the pressure gauges on the hot water tank and the UFH manifold will slowly work their way down to zero bar, eventually cutting out the boiler.

I have been advised by the builder that the expansion vessel on the boiler might be to blame. When I top it up with air the pressure gauges rise, so every day I top it up to around 1.5 BAR and the heating works.
The system has also been topped up with water following the UFH installation.

Is it likely my builder is correct that I should install a new expansion vessel? Or is there something more sinister going on?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Would say there's a leak some where

Do you know where your pressure relieve valve terminates? If so is there signs of water dripping there?

Did the installer fit a extra heating expansion vessel to allow for the extra volume of water in the ufh, tape a clear ploy bag on the saftey valve discharge while the system heats up you will soon see if its passing you will need a engineer to rectify the problem .

Hi,
no, the original expansion vessel has been used.
When you say the "safety valve discharge" is that the pipe exiting the house that lucas121 called the "pressure relieve valve", or is it a valve on the actual expansion vessel?

Hi,
no, the original expansion vessel has been used.
When you say the "safety valve discharge" is that the pipe exiting the house that lucas121 called the "pressure relieve valve", or is it a valve on the actual expansion vessel?

Depends your best bet would be to get a heating engy to just check the system

An update to this problem:

A heating engineer looked over the system and fixed a leak on a radiator. Bled where there were airlocks, topped up the water in the system so we had the regular 1 BAR of pressure back. Problem solved, or so we thought.

Over the next 24 hours the pressure had dropped back to near zero.

I contacted the UFH installer who said the system was pressure tested to 3BAR and should be fine. He said to check for drips on the Manifold and to make sure an auto air vent is not closed. I will do that this evening.

My question is this: if there is no water coming from the outlet pipe from the expansion vessel then does it mean the vessel is ok? The heating engineer seems to think so.
Surely if I have had to replace air in the expansion vessel at all (I have several times) then this means it's membrane has failed and it needs replacing?

king of pipes,

the safety valve discharge is not passing water.
We have shut off the UFH but are still getting (a much slower) drop in pressure.
Can the wrong size expansion vessel account for a slow drop in pressure without the safety valve showing any water?

king of pipes,

the safety valve discharge is not passing water.
We have shut off the UFH but are still getting (a much slower) drop in pressure.
Can the wrong size expansion vessel account for a slow drop in pressure without the safety valve showing any water?

If your pressure is dropping then you still have a leak , it may be down to the expansion vessel if it has failed but you would see water at the saftey valve when the system heats up and the pressure gauge would register above 3bar does this happen ? truthfully you could loose it from lots of places get your engineer back bud .

If it's not an obvious leak then it might be time to try either renting a thermal imaging camera or get a leak detection company out as they have all this kit plus trace gas and acoustic detection. Google is your friend here, but if your London area then UK Leak Detection are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low pressure on the system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Hi all, My pressure is stable at 1.5 when the boiler is off, but if I switch it on, the pressure rises as expected, but once switched off it will only drop back down to 1.6. This happens exach time the heating is switched on so eventually it gradually rises to above 2 bar and I have to drain...
Replies
Views
Damo666
D
I am looking to replace my existing Vaillant heat-only boiler with a new Vaillant ecotec plus 630 system boiler (30kW). I have a megaflo hot-water cylinder, a central heating system (serving 21 radiators) and an orangery built last year (6m x 4m) with underfloor heating. Through running some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock