Search the forum,

Discuss Low/ No Gas pressure...please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sara275

hi

i hope someone can help here...

We have built a 2nd storey extension (like a large size loft conversion) and have installed a second boiler to supply about 7 radiators and hot water. We are at the stage where we have connected it all to the gas supply but unfortunately there is not enough/ almost zero pressure being delivered to he second floor and the boiler is simply not starting. The pressure falls all the way down to almost zero when the boiler tries to start. The current supply to which we are connecting is already supplying ground and first floor (about 10 radiators and hot water).

We are stuck and looking at options, do we/ can we:

1. tap into the gas source (before the meter) and (as has been recommended by a private contractor) "T Off" another supply pipe for the second floor? can we get into trouble doing it privately?

2. or do i need to get in ouch with the supplier to get it resolved..?

Would gratefully appreciate your help. i don't have too much faith in the boiler fitter so turning to experts here.

thanks so much

Aaliya

What size gas pipe work do you have running to the boiler and how far does it run?

Hi Aaliya

Don't work illegally or employ personnel who are willing to work illegally.

Contact your gas transporter for any work carried out 'up stream' of the meter.

Sounds like you either need to upgrade the size of your pipework, get a bigger meter so it can pass more gas or have a new supply installed for the conversion so you have two meters.

For a larger meter you need to speak to your gas supplier and for a new supply you'll have to contact the gas distributor (if you don't know who it is then just call your supplier).

To t off the pipe before the meter is illegal!

thanks for the reply guys:

@applumbing - from what i know (approximately) its 28mm going from the meter going up about 4 meter and then across another about 5 meter. It then reduces to 22mm to enter the property to travel into the boiler about 4 meter away.

@galaxy_plumbing - a contractor who works for one of the gas companies (dunno which) has said that he can tap into source (before primary meter) and tee off to get more pressure but i suspect this is not 100% legit?

thanks again

Who installed the boiler?, who installed the gas pipe to the new boiler?

From what you have said in your post it is somebody who shouldn't have.

Thanks so much for this reply, it sounds so logical. My only question is if i opt for a bigger meter, will there be any need to mess with pipework/ digging etc? i am dreading the thought of digging pipework to match new bigger meter. i am hoping this option is available without digging.

The other option of new pipes obviously means digging..

thanks

Sounds like you either need to upgrade the size of your pipework, get a bigger meter so it can pass more gas or have a new supply installed for the conversion so you have two meters.

For a larger meter you need to speak to your gas supplier and for a new supply you'll have to contact the gas distributor (if you don't know who it is then just call your supplier).

To t off the pipe before the meter is illegal!

illegal gas/boiler installation??? :(

contact a local Gas Safe registered engineer. We are professionals on this site and wont give you advise on ilegal gas work im afraid.

Sounds like a rejected script from Faulty Towers to me.
Gotta be a wind up. I hope!!!

Did the person who fitted the boiler get it to work ? can-not see how with very little gas, how did they commision the boiler ? has it been registered with Gas Safe ? I think the answer to these questions is NO !!

FYI, its a qualified gas safe so called "professional" who has landed me in this mess in the first place!! I am now stumbling on forums for answers.

If you have nothing useful to add, please stay off the thread! That goes for any other frustrated, hater too! Jees!

illegal gas/boiler installation??? :(

contact a local Gas Safe registered engineer. We are professionals on this site and wont give you advise on ilegal gas work im afraid.

Hi jtsplumbing

The work is not complete and hence no registration or anything. The boiler didn't work due to the pressure problem. When he tried to turn it on, the pressure dropped to almost zero.

Thanks again for your help, i appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check his credentials? I know horse and stable door etc. But hopefully you won't have paid him fully.

Can you get a recommendation from friend / neighbour / colleague for a good gsr engineer.

You really need somebody to have a look who knows what they are doing. Good luck

Thanks so much for this reply, it sounds so logical. My only question is if i opt for a bigger meter, will there be any need to mess with pipework/ digging etc? i am dreading the thought of digging pipework to match new bigger meter. i am hoping this option is available without digging.

The other option of new pipes obviously means digging..

thanks

FYI, its a qualified gas safe so called "professional" who has landed me in this mess in the first place!! I am now stumbling on forums for answers.

If you have nothing useful to add, please stay off the thread! That goes for any other frustrated, hater too! Jees!

Firstly, the guys on here give good advice and tend to be very helpful so whilst I appreciate you might be frustrated but don't jump on them or you wont get it!

If you need a bigger meter then it shouldn't need digging providing that the meter can be placed where the current one is situated. Phone your supplier and they will come out and let you know. If the best bet is to install a second meter and T off before the existing meter then depending on where the existing pipework is run will depend on what needs digging up etc. Basically it's very difficult to say without seeing the installation. However if you let us know where you live someone on here might be local and be able to give you better advice/quote for any rectification work that needs doing.

It maybe the case that not only do you need a secondary meter installing but the pipe run to the new boiler might also need upgrading.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but I hope this advice helps.

I would urge you to check the credentials of the installer though as if they are prepared to act illegally and t off the supply pipe then who knows what else they've done wrong and they may have left you with a potentially dangerous situation.

Can you post a picture of the boiler along with the pipework going to it, so we can see what you have going on. When you say the pressure drops to zero what do you mean?

hi

and thanks so much again. Sorry to sound cheesed off but tbh the frustration stems from people making it sound as though it is my fault for choosing an idiot. I only went off the fact that he is gas safe. The reason why i am here is because i know there are great people here (the likes of yourself and others helping) and i honestly do appreciate the useful replies as it could potentially help resolve a problem that is proving to be a real pain.

I am located in manchester btw

thanks again

Firstly, the guys on here give good advice and tend to be very helpful so whilst I appreciate you might be frustrated but don't jump on them or you wont get it!

If you need a bigger meter then it shouldn't need digging providing that the meter can be placed where the current one is situated. Phone your supplier and they will come out and let you know. If the best bet is to install a second meter and T off before the existing meter then depending on where the existing pipework is run will depend on what needs digging up etc. Basically it's very difficult to say without seeing the installation. However if you let us know where you live someone on here might be local and be able to give you better advice/quote for any rectification work that needs doing.

It maybe the case that not only do you need a secondary meter installing but the pipe run to the new boiler might also need upgrading.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but I hope this advice helps.

I would urge you to check the credentials of the installer though as if they are prepared to act illegally and t off the supply pipe then who knows what else they've done wrong and they may have left you with a potentially dangerous situation.

As tweakyboy said, are you referring to the pressure gauge on the boiler? That is not related to the gas pressure.

hi

and thanks so much again. Sorry to sound cheesed off but tbh the frustration stems from people making it sound as though it is my fault for choosing an idiot. I only went off the fact that he is gas safe. The reason why i am here is because i know there are great people here (the likes of yourself and others helping) and i honestly do appreciate the useful replies as it could potentially help resolve a problem that is proving to be a real pain.

I am located in manchester btw

thanks again

Hi Sara, don't worry i've had the same treatment on this forum after choosing a 'so called' Gas Safe Registered company to do work and things didn't go right. Stick around and you should eventually get some useful advice!

I agree that it can feel a bit intimidating and like a pack of lions ganging up on you when asking basic questions on here! I can (somewhat) understand the frustration from experienced GSR forum members when others carry out sub-standard work.

Hi Sara, sounds like you are splitting the house into 2 seperate flats ! so would be good idea to have own Meters, Did your fitter run a new gas pipe from the Meter ? or has he connected onto excisting pipes in the house ?? maybe he as not had a lot of experience, but please make sure he has is own gas safe number, if he is working for someone else he will not be coverd out side of work, Please be very careful you could invalidate your house insurance.

right, i've just had a chat with him and i have more info:

1. the pipe is connected from the meter and the total run to the boiler is about 15metres (5meter up, 5 meter across outside and 5 meter inside property to the boiler)

2. About 10 meters of pipe is 10 meters and then it reduces to 22mm for the last 5meteres to the boiler.

3. The pressure at the boiler is 21mb. The problem arises when the boiler is switched on. When it is on, the gas pressure drops very low.

Is the bigger meter size (i think you said U16) domestic or commercial?

thanks again

Sara

So your standing pressure at the boiler is 21mb, what is the working pressure?

2. About 10 meters of pipe is 10 meters and then it reduces to 22mm for the last 5meteres to the boiler.

I hope that is a typo above and the fitter hasn't used 10mm!

Are you able to post a picture of the installation?

Is the bigger meter size (i think you said U16) domestic or commercial?

A U16 meter is a large domestic meter, but your gas supplier will work out what you need.

What gas appliances do you have installed and do you know the outputs of them?

Rather than clutching at straws Sara, if as you say you had a GSR do the installation; why not get a Gas Safe inspector over to look at it and give you a definitive report.
If you didn't get a proper GSR then don't whinge if we think you might have been foolish and say so.

sorry, it was a typo

2. About 10 meters of pipe is 28mm and then it reduces to 22mm for the last 5meters to the boiler.

working pressure drops to zero when boiler is switched on. Before boiler switch on, the pressure is 21mb

thanks

So your standing pressure at the boiler is 21mb, what is the working pressure?

I hope that is a typo above and the fitter hasn't used 10mm!

Are you able to post a picture of the installation?

What make and model are both boilers? Will it work if the other boiler is not running? I have worked in a block of 4 flats which runs off a domestic meter and has sub meters (additional for each flat) and the boilers would run when all were on so although you may need a bigger meter it probably wont stop it firing up unless other boiler is running.

To me it sounds like pipework is undersized/Blocked/squashed I have seen all 3 when working it only takes a careless plasterer to get a good lump of plaster in a pipe or somebody to drop something on a pipe to kink it stopping the gas from coming through. You might have an inexperianced gas man but it could be something else I would check them out just for peace of mind but if it is 1 of the last 2 it could happen to anybody. (I now always solder cap ends on to stop plasterers filling the pipes)

Do you know where they have taken the gas pipe from if it was me I would run a seperate feed from near the gas meter or put a good sized pipe from meter until they tee off.

dont get knarked about a sensible answer. If you re-read your original post you stated we this and we that, so it is easy to take that "we" as you and somebody else (following the common use of the word).

You did not mention that we ment your gas safe registered engineer and yourself. It sounds like the engineer you have is an idiot and does not know what he/she his doing so my original answer still stand in essence get another engineer to sort it out and dont pay the original engineer untill all is sorted out.

Last edited:
btw it sounds like the problem is at the meter or the incomming main, easy to discover this if you are a competent engineer, which yours seem not to be.

Hi sara :welcome: to the forum :)

You're guy needs to check the working pressure at the meter with the boiler on! dropping to zero at the boiler I'd say he's got a blockage somewhere!! A U6 meter will supply about 64kW/hr ... Your guy if he's GSR will know all this. If he's running just the one boiler and the inlet is dropping to zero then he's got a restriction somewhere IMHO! Putting a bigger meter in wouldn't make a hapworth of difference if that's the case :)

Thanks Millsy. This could be a possibility as the pipes were exposed during plastering. So just for my reference, when we say blocked pipes, we mean pipes from the first fix?

thanks a bunch

What make and model are both boilers? Will it work if the other boiler is not running? I have worked in a block of 4 flats which runs off a domestic meter and has sub meters (additional for each flat) and the boilers would run when all were on so although you may need a bigger meter it probably wont stop it firing up unless other boiler is running.

To me it sounds like pipework is undersized/Blocked/squashed I have seen all 3 when working it only takes a careless plasterer to get a good lump of plaster in a pipe or somebody to drop something on a pipe to kink it stopping the gas from coming through. You might have an inexperianced gas man but it could be something else I would check them out just for peace of mind but if it is 1 of the last 2 it could happen to anybody. (I now always solder cap ends on to stop plasterers filling the pipes)

Do you know where they have taken the gas pipe from if it was me I would run a seperate feed from near the gas meter or put a good sized pipe from meter until they tee off.

Yes it will be pipes put in on the first fix.

I have also put a 22 mm elbow in which had a 15mm cap end in but that blocked completely but would say first fix.

Last edited:
hiya

i would prefer a blockage then anything more "complicated". Just for clarification, there is already a boiler in he property. The problem boiler is the second one.

cheers
Hi sara :welcome: to the forum :)

You're guy needs to check the working pressure at the meter with the boiler on! dropping to zero at the boiler I'd say he's got a blockage somewhere!! A U6 meter will supply about 64kW/hr ... Your guy if he's GSR will know all this. If he's running just the one boiler and the inlet is dropping to zero then he's got a restriction somewhere IMHO! Putting a bigger meter in wouldn't make a hapworth of difference if that's the case :) IMHO

Hi Sara, don't worry i've had the same treatment on this forum after choosing a 'so called' Gas Safe Registered company to do work and things didn't go right. Stick around and you should eventually get some useful advice!

I agree that it can feel a bit intimidating and like a pack of lions ganging up on you when asking basic questions on here! I can (somewhat) understand the frustration from experienced GSR forum members when others carry out sub-standard work.

the usefull advice is to get a competent engineer, too many so called plumbers give poorly judged answers to questions they dont seem to understand or comprehend the safety issues of. The only correct advise here is to get somebody competent to sort it out.

hiya

i would prefer a blockage then anything more "complicated". Just for clarification, there is already a boiler in he property. The problem boiler is the second one.

cheers

It maybe that you'll need a larger meter to accommodate the 2 boilers and any other additional appliances, cookers, fires you may have fitted Sara ... However even with them all on that would not account for zero at the boiler though, you'd expect some :)

Just realised I'm echoing your posts Millsy 82 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low/ No Gas pressure...please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock