Search the forum,

Discuss Low Flow/Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working pressure on mains 1.5 bar,
working pressure on outlets, around 0.5 bar by my calculations!!

That's what I did, definetly taps causing issues

Last edited by a moderator:
What have you got at the showers and bath?

Any inline strainers on the taps and showers?....you know the rubber washer type.

If the taps are restricting flow then there shouldn't be a reduction when another is opened.

Have the taps got diffusers on the outlet as this is always a crap catcher and often overlooked.

What have you got at the showers and bath?

Any inline strainers on the taps and showers?....you know the rubber washer type.

If the taps are restricting flow then there shouldn't be a reduction when another is opened.

Have the taps got diffusers on the outlet as this is always a crap catcher and often overlooked.

6l/min at showers and baths, 0.4 working pressure
No strainers anywhere
Taps all clean, Checked all strainers, Filters etc, no dirt in pipes or taps
Same pressure on taps with filters and taps without.

Jase, did you bypass the softener and test.
Unless it's a hiflo type softener you can easily lose a bar there !

Jase, did you bypass the softener and test.
Unless it's a hiflo type softener you can easily lose a bar there !
Yes and tested before and after water softener and as said before, not loosing any pressure through water softener, hi flow kit fitted on the water softener

As Jase mentioned earlier, we have 18l/min just after the stopcock, after the water softener and just before the pipe connects to the taps (after ISO). The fact that the taps have a reduced flow of 8l/min and lower pressure isn't such a big issue because we wouldn't really want more from those taps. However, with 18l/min into the property we should be able to have 2-3 outlets open at the same time, but with 2 taps open the flow drops to about 4l/min out of each tap.

That is our main issue, because whilst someone is showering no one else in the house can use any taps or have the washing machine / dishwasher on.

Most modern basin taps are restricted to 6 litres, so nothing wrong there.

These are what they are:
taps&showers.png

The only exception is the utility room tap which is a random one from Wickes.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 bar standing pressure at garden tap ? how many floors has the house got ? did you measure the dynamic pressure ?

2 bar standing pressure at garden tap ? how many floors has the house got ? did you measure the dynamic pressure ?

Dynamic pressure question is for jase, but I can answer the floors one... 3 floors including ground floor (one shower on ground, two on first and one on second).

Ok. Pipe work right sizes? Have u checked that pipe isn't inserted too far into a tee? Or cheap ISO fitted?

Had one where branch on tee obstructed 95% of main pipe.

Not piped in 10mm is it? Sounds very much like an obstruction. 25mm mdpe restricted? Pebble?

Fit a tee on mdpe. Measure flow rate and dynamic pressure.

Ok. Pipe work right sizes? Have u checked that pipe isn't inserted too far into a tee? Or cheap ISO fitted?

Had one where branch on tee obstructed 95% of main pipe.

Not piped in 10mm is it? Sounds very much like an obstruction. 25mm mdpe restricted? Pebble?

Fit a tee on mdpe. Measure flow rate and dynamic pressure.

I will leave it to jase to answer the "technical" questions, but for my benefit, would a blockage really result in what we are experiencing? We know we are getting 18l/min after the water softener and to the taps... just went multiple taps are on the flow drops to about 4l/min.

Sounds to me like a restriction in there somewhere. I've had foreign objects in the pipework before from a pebble to marbles (disgruntled builder), but when this is the case you normally get a spurt of decent pressure followed almost instantly by the drop.

Sounds to me like a restriction in there somewhere. I've had foreign objects in the pipework before from a pebble to marbles (disgruntled builder), but when this is the case you normally get a spurt of decent pressure followed almost instantly by the drop.

I think the pressure/low is consistent when an outlet is turned on, until another one is turned on.

How would one go about confirming there is a blockage, locating it and then clearing it?

I would look back to post #26 Jase, if the water board are to be believed at the meter you have 24ltr a min and at the stop tap as the new main enters the house you have 18ltrs a min! How longs the new water main? Your losing upto 6ltrs a min just their!

I would look back to post #26 Jase, if the water board are to be believed at the meter you have 24ltr a min and at the stop tap as the new main enters the house you have 18ltrs a min! How longs the new water main? Your losing upto 6ltrs a min just their!

It is about 15m of the blue pipe, which is going straight from the water meter to the stopcock.

Could even be a possible fault with the nrv in the meter.

The Affinity Water guy who came to check everything a while back said all that was fine. His conclusion was that our builder had kinked the pipe, but he only checked the mains, meter and the water tap in the back garden.

That's a fair assumption, the other question I'd ask is did the builder flush the main thoroughly before connecting onto the new system within the house?

You could search for the 6 litres for ever. You currently have with no restrictions 24lpm. Even that is poor for a property your size.
To make things work well the system should have been designed to give EACH bathroom between 20-30lpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low Flow/Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock