Search the forum,

Discuss Loud vibration from Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently had Honeywell Evohome controls installed. Since this was done I have had loud noises coming from the radiators and pipes at random times. I have just had one radiator changed and I now have a MUCH louder noise but at least I can now create the conditions to cause it to happen.

The heating system is a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDI System. The property is a bungalow with the boiler in the garage. There is a hot water storage cylinder in the garage which has a zone control valve connected to the Honeywell system.

There is no longer any zone control valve on the radiators relying on the Honeywell valves to control the water flow. There are 12 Honeywell valves. The pipes initially go down from the boiler and then up into the garage ceiling. There is an automatic bypass between the flow and return. The pipes run from the garage into the bungalow ceiling and then down through an airing cupboard into the solid floor and then are distributed to the radiators. There is a separate pair of pipes that feed the bathroom towel rails. These have never had a zone valve but the other radiators did originally have a zone valve controlled by the CH thermostat.

The system was drained down to fit new TRVs to 4 radiators when the Evohome was installed. The remaining TRV bodies were reused. Since then we have random loud vibrations from the pipework. this was mainly the return pipe that was vibrating.

In preparation for having the kitchen refitted I have just had the kitchen radiator (last Friday) replaced with a narrow/tall one and moved about 40 cm sideways. The original TRV body was re-used but moved to the return side rather than the flow side. The system was partially drained to change the radiator. Initially no water was flowing and the installer had to close all the other radiators off to force the water to flow to the new radiator.

I now have the new radiator working properly BUT when the Evohome starts to shut down the radiator (having reached the set temperature) there is a VERY loud noise coming from the radiator and pipework. the pipes in the airing cupboard are vibrating quite violently. The same thing happens when it is opening up again. The vibration can be started and stopped by slightly adjusting the TRV. I think this mainly happens when most of the other TRVs are closed and the kitchen one is only partly open. I assume that the boiler flow is running through the automatic bypass.

I have bled all the radiators and looked at the automatic air vents in the loft on the flow and return pipes. One released some air.

Can any of you make any suggestions. I have tried to get the heating engineers to come up with a fix but they have not responded to my request so far.

IMG_20180302_152227.jpg

IMG_20180306_185448.jpg

IMG_20180306_185603.jpg

Honetwell valves ar best fitted to the flow. They can make a banging sound when turning off.
Also when those valves,were installed, an automatic bypass valve should have been fitted.

After looking at your pic. You do have a bypass valve.
So it’s probably valves fitted on the return.

The vibration usually goes on for several minutes. I have stopped it by adjusting the valve after more than 5 minutes of continuous noise.

I have found a diagnostic status report on the Honeywell Evohome controller which might help someone to shed some light on my problem. If I have understood the display correctly it shows how far each valve is open. On all radiators, apart from the kitchen one, if the percentage is low some water flows and this seems to increase as the percentage rises (judging by hand and estimating the difference between flow and return temperatures).

The kitchen radiator however behaves differently. There is no flow if the percentage is below around 25% to 30%. If I turn the dial, both flow and return pipes start to get hot, and then the vibration starts. If I turn it up a bit more (3-4 clicks) the percentage displayed changes to 100% and the vibration stops.

Is this a red herring or does this help to pinpoint where I have a problem?

Note that the TRV body is not new and it is not a Honeywell one - it was moved from the previous radiator but was transferred from the flow to the return to assist with the kitchen layout. I have other radiators that are behaving correctly, with the same TRV bodies, with the TRV on the return. The hall radiator for example.

IMG_20180307_180925.jpg

Further update:

I have now removed the Honeywell actuator from the TRV body and used manual control to adjust the flow. Moving the manual control from closed towards open I can start the loud vibration and continuing to open the valve it stops again. The movement on the manual control ring is about 1/8 turn.

I then tried all of the other TRVs on the heating circuit and found one other that created a noise. The others would silently move from fully closed to fully open.

I have a videos of the behaviour but I do not appear to be able to upload them. I have included Dropbox links. I hope these can be opened. The first is the bedroom radiator and the noise is at a lower level. The second is the kitchen one and is very loud

Dropbox - VID_20180310_114550_mpeg4.mp4

Dropbox - VID_20180310_114711_mpeg4_001.mp4

The bedroom radiator that is also making a noise and causing the pipes to vibrate is already on the flow side.

I have at least one other radiator where the TRV is on the return and that is working silently.

I will discuss this further with my heating installer.

Some TRVs are designed to fit on either flow or return indifferently. Others are designed ONLY to work on the flow and will not function properly when on the return, and a third type can be fitted to either but there's a collar you have to rotate depending on which way the water is flowing.

There was a vibration from the heating system before the kitchen radiator was changed. I believe the heating engineer probably reused the TRV body and moved it to the return rather than the flow. This was to allow more options for the new kitchen layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud vibration from Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock