Search the forum,

Discuss Loud pipes after toilet flushing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crof_s

I have recently had a brand new central heating system installed (boiler, radiators etc. Never had central heating before) and now when the toilet is flushed there is a loud 'whooshing' through the pipes when re-filling. It isn't really a 'banging' or anything like some have suggested. Just a constanting whooshing until it has filled up again. The actually cistern re-filling is bearable but the problem is that the pipes in the boiler cupboard are actually in a bedroom. So if somebody is sleeping then this noisy 'whooshing' in the pipes is a problem.

Basically I have heard that installing something in the cistern will also stop this problem with the loud pipes. Is this true? Also, are they hard to install?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If system was previously a gravity system and converted to pressurised u may still have the low pressure orifice at the ballcock on w.c, it will need to be changed for the high pressure one

It was indeed a gravity system before. So how do I change this? Can a lay person do it? (I mean I am pretty handy but I'm not a qualified plumber).

Also, could you send me a link/picture to any parts I would need so I get an idea of what has to be done?

Also, how does the high pressure one work compared to the low pressure? (I just like to learn haha sorry!)

Thanks again for the help.

P.S. I have attached a picture. I am not sure if that makes a difference but just so you can understand what I am dealing with.

20160505_231620.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the high pressure orifice would've been attached to the ballcock it has a smaller diameter hole although looks like it's missing on your one, I would take your photo down to local merchants maybe they can supply you with the correct orifice and advise how it's fitted (relativiley easy)

goodluck image.jpg

You could install a Fluidmaster Pro bottom entry inlet valve (get the one with the brass tail as it is more durable and only a couple of quid extra). This type of inlet valve comes ready for low pressure/gravity installation but also comes with a flow reducer that you install before putting it on mains pressure systems. It's just a little rubber spiral flow restrictor. It is all in the instruction within the package. They fit almost any cistern, including the type you have there and are one of the less noisy valves. Unless the inlet pipework is using a flexi hose with a rubber seal you will also need to replace the red fibre washer on the connector that goes on to the brass tail of the new fill valve. Ask for a couple of 1/2" red fibre washers when you buy the inlet valve. You only need one but they only cost a few pence and are easy to loose or damage if it doesn't fully seal on the first go. Hope this helps.

Don't hesitate to ask for further instruction here on fitting it.

Alternatively, make a plumber happy and call them and tell them what you need doing.

Last edited:
just sounds like restricted flow into the fill valve to me. Check that the service valve to the cistern inlet is fully open. If not, can contribute to noisy pipes as water flows through them.
If not, may just be that you need to adjust to sound of pressurized system. Water flow thorough significantly faster than in gravity systems which give off the woozing sound? Also could be just a simple fault with the diaphragm on the fill valve could be perished or perishing. Very simple to change just do a you tube search...

SOLVED!!! Here's what happened....

I got the high pressure orifice. So I switched the water off at the stopcock and drained the toilet and fitted the orifice. Switch the water back on and it was the same thing happening. So instead of going back to the stopcock I did turn the little 'screw' on the service valve to switch the water off but as soon as I turned it about 10 degrees the toilet was filling faster and no noise! I couldn't believe it! If I had paid a plumber for that I would have screamed! Haha.

So it looks like clemda1 had the right idea. Thank you all for your help.

P.S. I have included pics of what I needed to turn incase somebody else discovers this post and is having the same problem.

20160512_191442.jpg20160512_191514.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud pipes after toilet flushing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow water shut off. Worked for a bit, but hammer returned. This morning, while the toilet was refilling and the shower was on, there was a loud thud that...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled. I didn't do or change...
Replies
Views
Hi guys So a bit of a dilemma Normal WC Unit height 766mm which is around the average mark. quite alot of bogs lets say the flush pipe center from floor is 330-340ish. However I have a comfort height Pan here and the center to the flush pipe from floor is 405MM So we're looking 65-75mm...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming no suggestion of any actual blockage) but after the flush we get a rumbly gurgling from deep within the pipework somewhere and the water level in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock