Search the forum,

Discuss Loud metal clunking sound after turning off taps/ after toilet stops filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

J

James johnson

Dear All,

After turning off taps or after the toilet completes filling the cistern, there is a loud metal clunking sound coming from pipework.

I have drained all the water from the pipes twice to get rid of water hammer. This helped stop the sound for a few weeks but the sound always came back.

What is a permanent solution to this problem?

I would appreciate any help and advice.

Kind regards
James

the solution lies in the cause as KOP says. Start with cheapest and work onwards. Check pipes are not bouncing, change stopcock, fit PRV to limit pressure, fit aav at top of house to expell air. Or wait and see if it goes away - utility might be at high pressure or full of air due to repairs etc.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. How would I go about checking pipes are not bouncing without having to rip up floors and walls?

Do you think installing a water hammer arrestor would do the trick?

What if I leave it alone and do nothing?

Pipes not adequately clipped and/or insulated a PRV may be needed to keep incoming main supply to a steady pressure nominally 3 bar working pressure a mini expansion vessel /shock arrester can be fitted close to a nuisance shower valve ,tap or any cold water draw off that is causing concern .....brum

Reply to Loud metal clunking sound after turning off taps/ after toilet stops filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning, I had a call yesterday from a colleague who said that after turning off the water the tap jammed and could not open back up. By all accounts the Stop tap closed fine and the spindle turned easily whilst turning the water off. Does anyone know what would have caused this? Thanks Andy
Replies
Views
We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow water shut off. Worked for a bit, but hammer returned. This morning, while the toilet was refilling and the shower was on, there was a loud thud that...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into the unit; a spring check valve was placed on the cold line (per the manual) after which there is an expansion tank (on the cold line) in a T junction...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock