Search the forum,

Discuss loud humming and vibration in water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mrs _ Columbo

We live in a top floor tenement flat. I have called Scottish Water about this problem and they say that they have not carried out any work in our area for the last 2 weeks and that none of my neighbours have reported a problem.

We have intermittently heard a loud humming and vibration (not banging) in the pipe which leads from our stopcock. Our stopcock is above our front door inside our flat. Sometimes the humming seems to be coming from near the water tank / shower room area (next to each other).

The humming happens on and off, previously just for a few seconds and stops. In the last few days it has happened for minutes at a time, this afternoon for at least 5 minutes. It can happen anytime of the day or night and does not appear to happen because we have turned a tap on or flushed the toilet or the boiler being on.

I have tried turning the stopcock off and then turning it slowly on again (while it hummmed) but this didn't seem to make any difference.

The only thing that I can think might cause it is we have an old and dripping constantly ball valve in our water tank. Could this cause his humming?

I hope you can give some advise because it is probably waking my neighbours up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Change your ball valve, probably the washer inside is worn so it intermitently lets water through causing the arm to move "knocking" the washer giving the vibration as water is let through and stopped quickly

Are you sure it's your pipes? Could it be coming from a neighbours flat?

If you live in a top floor tenament, your water main could be feeding half of your blocks water tanks. Very old building, with very old water systems. As you say it could be the valve in your water tank.... But it could be anyones.

Have you shut your stopcock completely when the noise is occurring? Noisy pipes can sound like they come from anywhere. If its defo your stopcock, you should check what tanks they are feeding in the loft, you can then narrow the noise down to X amount of tanks, gently open the ball valves in the tanks and see which one is noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to loud humming and vibration in water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have issues with the plumbing in our old apartment and we have vibrations in the floor, especially after we have flushed a lot of water like after a shower or running the washing machine. There's also a low frequency humming all over the apartment. I'm thinking there must be some pipes under...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is switched on before it stops. There is a sink nearby, sometimes if we switch that on slowly before turning on the shower then the shower doesn't make a...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Thanks in advance for your advice... As the title mentions, my issue is with the water pipes of the house causing the floor to vibrate. I have singled out the issue to the joists that the floorboards sit on carrying the vibrations throughout the house. We do not have hot water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up twice a day for about 2 hours. When the tanks start to heat, one of them makes a loud vibrating noise, sometimes for about 15-20 mins, sometimes for...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock