Search the forum,

Discuss Loud bangs from boiler after draining system - closed valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I drained my system today as I was trying (and failed) to install new radiator valves. I have just switched the heating on this evening and the boiler suddenly made loud bangs so i hurriedly switched the heating off.

There are 2 valves in the loft, one which turned off the water in the bathroom and the other didn't seem to do anything. This valve that didn't seem to do anything has started leaking now so I have had to leave it closed, and I am guessing that it is connected to the boiler somehow causing the bangs?

Hard to say what the valves do without seeing them and tracing the pipeline. But it sounds like you have not vented the boiler or the pipes corectly. And air is trapped in the boiler and turning into steam thus kettling and causing the banging noise. The problem is you will need a Gas Safe engineer to vent the boiler properly as it will involve working on the boiler itself. Which is against the law unless you are a GSR engineer.

aah yes i didnt vent oops! Amateur mistake. Do i need to drain again to do that or can i just go round the radiators?

Try bleeding all the radiators, the pump ( but only if it is not a fixed head inside a boiler) and any air vents elsewhere you can find, like maybe in the cylinder cupboard and loft space. The valve you have left closed in the loft because it has started leaking, it probably needs the gland tightening up to stop it from leaking and it also needs to be turned back on, as it sounds like it may be the gravity feed for your heating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud bangs from boiler after draining system - closed valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock