Search the forum,

Discuss looking to do my oftec in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

julesverne

Hi Guys,

thinking of doing my oftec in spring next year.

in the meantime can you guy recommend any books/literature manufacturers sites to look at in the meantime.

i dont know any books but i know from feb the leds college of building will be doing the training and assessment fella

I thought leeds college was already doing it, they are on CITB list of centres for OFTEC certs. (it's on same list with acs)

No the assessor left and the new doesn't take his teaching exam till January

How much oil have you done?

at the moment zero which is why i'm thinking about it. but want to expand from just doing gas. also doing my hetas next year so was thinking of doing this around the same time.

Doing it at leeds on there first course after crimbo , names already on the list son

I'd ask how much, but maybe better share things like that on Arms? I'm not sure peoples opinion on sharing course prices.

at the moment zero which is why i'm thinking about it. but want to expand from just doing gas. also doing my hetas next year so was thinking of doing this around the same time.

I started by doing half days for a couple of months with a mate of mine. I was doing my work in the mornings and then breakdowns and services on the afternoon. That was November/December and then did my assessments in January. The bloke who did the assessments was spot on. I did mine at NGST in Cramlington.

I started by doing half days for a couple of months with a mate of mine. I was doing my work in the mornings and then breakdowns and services on the afternoon. That was November/December and then did my assessments in January. The bloke who did the assessments was spot on. I did mine at NGST in Cramlington.

just gotta find someone who does oil then.

I've done oil work for a good few years. Finally got OFTEC registered a few months back. Did my training at Piper Assessments. My OFTEC inspector was renewing his qualifications during the same week, so I've allready met him!!

Next time I do an oil install you are more than welcome to come up and see whats what.

thanks simong i would like to take you up on that offer? would need a bit of notice so i can rearrange work if needed.

Not a problem. At the moment I have no installs scheduled, but as soon as I have something I'll give you a shout.

how hard is it to get oftec sorted without alot of oil wokr ? there is bits and bobs of it around my way but there arnt many engineers that want to have the hassle of another person on site ?

so basically can it be done through books ? with small visits on site ?

Getting oftec is easy, you're paying your money and they get you through. It's the actual hands on and experience that seperates and engineer from a good engineer.

Aye, I've been on refresher courses with guys who have never actually looked at a boiler. I usually end up with them to let the instructor carry on with the rest of the class.

Did the OFT 201 (Commercial oil) a few weeks ago. Apparently there are only 2 guys in the uk with this now. Me and the guy with me! And we taught the instructor more than he taught us! lol

so 3 guys including the instructor ? how special do you feel ? but who was first you or the other guy ?

I did my oftec without ever touching an oil boiler before ( I had installed a few a couple of years before but never fired them up that was the bloke commisioning) I havnt struggled too much in the past 1.5 years I had to make a few phone calls to the burner manufacturers on the first couple of jobs but I soon got it. If you can work on gas competently you should not have a problem working out an oil burner as the boiler is just another boiler.

Oftec is mostly a load of nonsense. At least half the questions are about things nobody needs to know. I have a friend who did the 101 & 105 course without any experience of heating systems or boilers.

Anyone got any details on the whole assessment process?
Questions etc...

Practical is part of the 101 course & I wasn't impressed with it. Still a bit nerve wrecking though! Electric safety (isolating & testing supply), fault finding & combustion setting. Not teach you much.
If you work at gas boilers & heating systems, most of the basics you will already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to looking to do my oftec in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Currently undergoing my level 2, hoping to get finished in the next few weeks. Looking to gain some experience, if anyone needs a mate etc. Im currently in the forces will be leaving in May however at the minute I can work Mondays/Fridays and weekends. Do not want paying just happy...
Replies
Views
W
Help. I am trying to sell my house and just discovered from local searches that my plumber - who WAS Oftec registered when he installed the boiler did not register it!! šŸ˜”. He is no longer oftec registered and having spoken to oftec myself on Friday, they said the only option I have is to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a recommendation for a heat only boiler to replace my 30yrs old ideal boiler. Any makes you would recommend and any to avoid? Thanks
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys I finished my gas course in September can anyone help me i need to do 2 install and services. Am living i ln leeds west yorkshire I do appreciated for any advices . MOD* Please use the forum PM Service to contact members! Thanks!
Replies
Views
Ahmad marian
A
B
My toilet has been randomly doing a small flush. I've had a visit from a Saniflo engineer who has checked the unit. There is no blockage and it is flushing away correctly. He has replaced the non return valve and the solenoid valve but this has not solved the problem. There is a very slow...
Replies
Views
Barbara C
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock