Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Looking for a gas safe mentor in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Alastair Davis

Alastair Davis New Member

I literally wrote about 30 normal, business type emails looking for someone to take me on for my portfolio and got nothing. Felt dejected, sad, and with nothing to loose decided to be myself, and sent 3 more emails but with a little (regulated) humor, honesty and sincerity and ended up getting two replies from two different companies within days.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not there yet, have a long way to go, shi*t can still happen, and reading this forum i'm well aware that i'm gonna need a bit of luck (among other things) to make it past the first year so we'll see how it goes!

2. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Sounds about right, we are businesses, we are business men just like the guys that wear suits, but as a general rule we love a good laugh.

It's a great trade, good luck and enjoy it. None of us ever stop learning.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lord_lucan

Lord_lucan New Member

Man this is all too familiar ..

I’m also a newbie who’s just become gas safe. However I struggled to do my portfolio at the time and as a mature student I used my age (37) and sheer determination to leave my feet in a few doors.

Eventually whilst working full time I managed to get experience with a company. Eight months later they took me on after I was qualified.

It couldn’t have worked out better! However it was not easy leaving an office job to go into a trade but it’s been a journey.

As for you mo you have to understand your limitations. It takes years to understand this trade. I’m a service engineer now for a gas company and it’s not easy!

Just wish you all the best

4. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

This post is spot on, I got lucky with my training, but starting on services is (as I did) is the only way to learn how to fix boilers.

Installing in my opinion is a different trade, I've installed a few and it's physical hard going, fixing boilers for the first 2 or 3 years is mentally hard going, either way it's not easy.

5. Lord_lucan

Lord_lucan New Member

And that’s the thing. I’ve never installed on my own but with mates helping out etc. But I don’t have the confidence to yet.

However I have just done a manufacture gas training course on a particular boiler and it made me realise.. training training training !!

6. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

What sort manf course, I'm ex BG so think I know it all, maybe I should go on some manufacturers courses? Do they cover fault finding?

I used to go on in house BG courses, all they did was Socket n See and safe isolation, clearly just worried about if I electrocuted myself and my family tried to sue.

Tell me more about these manf course's?

7. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Best one get your backside on the BDR thermea

8. Lord_lucan

Lord_lucan New Member

I’m sure your aware boiler manufacturers do one day courses

9. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Why are you disliking @ShaunCorbs@ShaunCorbs thread and then thank him for his advise ? Don’t really get your point . he is a qualified and experienced engineer and he knows surely more than you what’s required to be a good engineer.

10. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Just to add a few things here. I just passed my acs and I have seen with my own eyes mptha5 majority of the people were either cab drivers or from offices. Do not get me wrong but 99% of those people had literally no clue what they were doing. Theorie they maybe good and better than qualified and experienced plumbers but when it comes to practical, you won’t believe what people do in the assessments. There were 2 cab drivers and they really had a good brain for Theorie but when it came to practical assessments . oh dear.

Just don’t take shauncorbs questions wrong he is just telling you the truth and wants to guide you in the right direction.