Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Looking for a gas safe mentor in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

You did well to find someone, TBH. Good luck - and don't forget to let us know how things go.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mohammad ejaz

Mohammad ejaz New Member

Hi mate
    I thought I let you know that I m doing very good in five days I already done five portfolio jobs and 3 extra work like plumbing,and I m really enjoying this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Keep us posted it’s always good to hear of a success story. What portfolio bits have you done?

4. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Any pictures?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Just out of interest, how much does someone like Mohamid pay for an 8 week course? And what sort of basic knowledge will someone have after 8 weeks? My course was 7 months at BG to become qualified and none of us thought 7 months was long enough. Without on going support for 2 to 3 years youve no chance of making it as a gas engineer in my opinion .

• Like Like x 2
  6. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Agreed

7. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Without full support you're asking for either a nervous breakdown or a manslaughter charge.

8. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

At a rough amount around 6-7k

Bollox all other than a training room test

9. Lambed84

Lambed84 GSR

Success story right here! Been qualified 2 years with no previous experience! Skills now valued enough to have an apprentice with company!
    I did my quals with Birmingham metropolitan. My dad was my "mentor", he strongly advised against the training centre. I paid 2700 for fires cookers meters boilers and CPA. The course was 10 months. It was good, think that was largely down to the tutors, but far too much information to retain in a short period if time! In my opinion, having watched others that I went to class with, if the mentor and tutor are crap then there's very little chance of success!
    It all comes down to the person learning being able to understand the responsibilities involved BEFORE opting for a career within the industry and finding a mentor that's happy to spend a little time to mould a future engineer!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

thats not quite right though. but you are already trying to win the marathon before you even walk..

11. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

That’s very true mate but I’m sure you will agree that in 99% of cases people are not adequately trained nor are they competent to be let loose on their own without support. It sounds like you have attacked this with a very mature head and have been pragmatic in your approach that you’re not instantly going to be making serious blucks, but rather you have focused on getting a good knowledge capital under your belt. Not trying to run before you can walk. I think practicality is a huge issue here as you’ve been lucky enough to have a sensible mentor that has obviously brought you along at a sensible pace whereas in the real world unfortunately people are too busy to train properly. It’s sad but it’s true.

12. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

10 months!!! Lot longer than 8 weeks, and then seems to think he is "quite good with gas".

I can't see these training centres turning many engineers in reality, I suspect the original posted will be paying his mentor to be nothing more than a cab mut (labour).

13. Pitty

Pitty GSR

When I done my course it was 22 weeks in the class room and then I spent the next year 2-3 evenings a week with a GSRI
    Yes it was hard work and people said you want manage it blah blah blah.
    Not everyone does an apprenticeship and when you get older doing an apprenticeship isn’t an option but that should not mean you can’t do it , it means it will be more difficult getting into a job but should not mean you can’t!
    I’m now 3 years gas safe registered and work as an installer and my company have been very supportive because they saw the hard work I put in.
    You can’t knock people for trying

14. Alastair Davis

Alastair Davis New Member

Hey all. Firstly thanks to all the contributors here, very informative and interesting.

I start a 9 week course in June, and have managed to find a couple of local companies willing to take me on for completing my portfolio (approx. 120 hrs is the minimum required), FOC. It wasn't easy and in the end I had to send non-generic, interesting and slightly wacky emails to grab their interest.

The company I've chosen have then offered a couple of months (non paid) work experience when I've completed my ACS exams, where i'll be paired with an old boy engineer (30+ yrs experience) who's retiring next year. If i can impress with my knowledge, skill and dedication/hard work who knows.

I'm spending countless hours each week prior to the course getting as much study in as poss. On the course i'll make sure i smash it. I'll take in everything the old boy says on my work experience and i'll have the right attitude throughout...what more can you do!?

I appreciate what you guys are saying...there is no substitute for experience, in anything you do. And partly why I've chosen this career is because i want to always be challenged, and always learning.

Despite some negative (if not realistic in some ways) messages here i'm optimistic and plan to smash this. PMA man!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bibbs118

Bibbs118 GSR

Wacky funny emails will help get you noticed for sure, I've used them in the past with various company's but never looking for a job etc.

Brave, glad it's worked for you.

• Agree Agree x 1