Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Looking for a gas safe mentor in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

sorry to say youve got no chance of a job

your best bet is to go as a plumbers mate for a couple of years and then move onto the gas side

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Mohammad ejaz

Mohammad ejaz New Member

Thanks for your advice.

3. Mohammad ejaz

Mohammad ejaz New Member

And I m not asking for a job because I m not after your money, what I m looking is get some experience,

4. ShaunCorbs

so why go for the qualification before you have any experience

but your thinking i can put two pieces of pipe together so i will be fine

5. Mohammad ejaz

Mohammad ejaz New Member

Because you have to walk before you win marathon

6. ShaunCorbs

exactly so i say again why have you paid for the qualifications if you have no experience / idea of systems etc

7. Mohammad ejaz

Mohammad ejaz New Member

To become a doctor you don’t go to operation theatre Straight away you finish your education first then you work with somebody for experience,

8. ShaunCorbs

no you learn the underpinning knowledge first like i said in post 16

to learn this trade its going tom take a min of 2 years ask anyone on here

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mohammad ejaz

Mohammad ejaz New Member

Thanks for your advice,

10. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Is this a proper college or a training centre

11. ShaunCorbs

paid so training centre

• Like Like x 1
  12. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Ahh yes true

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mohammad ejaz

Mohammad ejaz New Member

Thanks for everybody's advise and I've found 1 gas safe engineer and today I m going to start with him.
    Thanks

14. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

The powers that be need to get a grip on this. I don't really understand NVQs etc - I am from the days of Gity an Guild. I do understand that course providers are misleading folk, and selling expensive courses to the slightly desperate. It is not fair to call these punters gullible - who would think that the govt. would allow "colleges" to encourage guys to give up good, but possibly uninspiring, jobs, take out loans, work for free - all to (typically) end up, at best, swapping out meters.

At the very least, it should be the providers responsibility to provide mentors - and pay us. When I had a shop, it was a weekly routine to decline the offer of "free" labour in return for assistance to build a portfolio. I tried hard to be positive with them, while refusing their offers

• Like Like x 1
  15. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Good luck not really sure why you saw fit to dislike my post unfortunately it’s true. You could’ve done with a proper college type introduction to plumbing before moving onto gas. People trying to run before they can walk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1