Search the forum,

Discuss Looking at un-certified boiler ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingalig

Gas Engineer
I have recently passed my ACS and registered as Gas safe, I have been asked to check an install of a combi that was never certified , Apparently it was fitted by a gas engineer that didnt benchmark it. Any advice ? I was going to check , location ( for vents, ducts, etc ,correct fitting ), pipe supply sizing , tightness test, FGA, gas rate and O/P. as well as pipework and joints for anything that doesnt comply. I will then presumablly have to notify, sorry if I am coming across as a bit of a newbie but I worked hard to get to this point and dont want to mess it up. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don't do gas myself but that sounds like a plan, remember it`s your name going on it so check all carefully and charge accordingly ;) They need you more than you need them at this point. :)

Yep full check like you were doing it yourself gas pipe got sleeves, I would take the flue off and make sure it was all complete and fully home in the fittings etc

Normally allow a day plus parts

Is this a case of just benchmark not filled in or boiler has not been registered ??

Is this a case of just benchmark not filled in or boiler has not been registered ??
As far as I know it's neither benchmarked or registered, The alarm bells did gently ring hence the advice sought, I have asked the customer to dig out all the paperwork and M.I's, If, as suggested I take my time and treat it as a new install , Im hoping it will work out. Can't really understand why the engineer didnt finish the job, apparently he was paid.

As far as I know it's neither benchmarked or registered, The alarm bells did gently ring hence the advice sought, I have asked the customer to dig out all the paperwork and M.I's, If, as suggested I take my time and treat it as a new install , Im hoping it will work out. Can't really understand why the engineer didnt finish the job, apparently he was paid.

Not qualified or diy

They are going to send me detail but, it was fitted last year. I'm not massivley comfortable if it is an unqualified install but will make sure I go through everything methodically and like a new install.

Best way

Alarm bells only gently ringing? Mine would be sounding like a klaxon horn.
Is there a For Sale board in the garden if so there`s your reason for them to call you. And if you are going to assume things then assume the customer lies until proven otherwise which is always my first rule.

Is there a For Sale board in the garden if so there`s your reason for them to call you. And if you are going to assume things then assume the customer lies until proven otherwise which is always my first rule.

Proberly fitted it themselves and want to sell & solicitor is asking for Building cert

I'm not assuming anything, and i am very very wary of either, being taken for a ride or not conforming to regulations hence the post , if there is even a tiny shadow of doubt that it doesnt comply I will I/D or A/R at worst Riddor it.

Reactions: rpm
.......................................................... Can't really understand why the engineer didnt finish the job, apparently he was paid.

I'm not assuming anything, and i am very very wary of either, being taken for a ride or not conforming to regulations hence the post , if there is even a tiny shadow of doubt that it doesnt comply I will I/D or A/R at worst Riddor it.
It`s good to be wary and my point was re the "apparently he got paid".

There is a TB about it, you basically have to remove and refit, to check it fixed to the wall properly.
I wouldnt register it unless you are 100% happy

There is a TB about it, you basically have to remove and refit, to check it fixed to the wall properly.
I wouldnt register it unless you are 100% happy
I'll explain that I have to be 100% happy to the customer before I start, And will not sign off unless it is 100%, i'm in my probationary period with Gas Safe and apart from wanting it and everything that I do to be 100% I know that they will as well.

Simply don't register it. Rule No1 is not to notify other people installs. You are keeping the cowboys in business and putting your own registration and future work in jeopardy. Would only give safety inspection certificate following thorough check or walk away,

Thank you for all the advice and pointers, I shall be very wary and methodical, both of the customer and with the Install.

Reactions: rpm
They are going to send me detail but, it was fitted last year. I'm not massivley comfortable if it is an unqualified install but will make sure I go through everything methodically and like a new install.
Fitted last year? Walk away mate. Unless you are completely happy to do it. I wouldn't risk my gas safe to register anybody else's work. Unless I ripped it out and started again.

Fitted last year? Walk away mate. Unless you are completely happy to do it. I wouldn't risk my gas safe to register anybody else's work. Unless I ripped it out and started again.
If its your probationary period for gas safe I wouldn't touch it as you have to then explain to the inspector who put it in and it wasn't you difficult situation and one I would avoid

You will also find that you are quoting against these others who don't register, aren't gas safe, don't fit to MI's with lime scale fighters & shock arrest or flushing.
They might beat your price by £100 and the customer thinks they are getting a bargain but are actually getting ripped off.

Tell them you will carry out a gas safety check for £x and quote to do what's needed to bring it up to standard

Gas Safe will tell you that you can register the boiler but that you are then responsible for the complete installation. You will need to treat this as a new installation and inspect the complete system and carryout a thorough commission as per MI's. don't forget to gas rate and check the gas line is correctly sized. some poor installers add 22mm pipe at the end of a 15mm pipe run. Why no registration? Well either DIY, Cowboy or Qualified installer working under an employers registration and moonlighting.

your mad doing this in your probation period ;) and i think you know this. unless you want to take it of the wall and put back on also all the other bits you may forget .

your mad doing this in your probation period ;) and i think you know this. unless you want to take it of the wall and put back on also all the other bits you may forget .
I,ve explained to the customer that I am unwilling to take it on, unless I can treat it as a complete re-installation, i.e remove and start over. Not willing to put my name to it unless I can do this. As yet still waiting for a reply.

I,ve explained to the customer that I am unwilling to take it on, unless I can treat it as a complete re-installation, i.e remove and start over. Not willing to put my name to it unless I can do this. As yet still waiting for a reply.
You probably will not get one.

If I were you, I would treat it like an inspection but tell them first to be clear.
Make sure they know you are not registering it for them, just telling them if it has been installed correctly and if it is safe to use.
There's nothing wrong with doing that.

Last edited:
In my exp there are 2 reasons why no benchmark or building regs cert.
1. Customer didn't pay
2. Appliance fitted illegally

I would recommend a free gas safe inspection if you think it was illegal. They provide a comprehensive report, list any gas related and building control defects and you have a nice list you can quote to put right.
Plus there is no aggro related to explaining away the illegal job :)

1. Customer didn't pay

I would recommend a free gas safe inspection if you think it was illegal. They provide a comprehensive report, list any gas related and building control defects and you have a nice list you can quote to put right.

had one in the early days gas safe lost the paperwork lol

1. Customer didn't pay

I ended up not doing the job, far happier to retain my hard earned gas safe, although if I come across a similar situation a free gas safe inspection sounds like a great idea.

You turned it down, or they weren't happy with your remove it from the wall and start again approach?

You turned it down, or they weren't happy with your remove it from the wall and start again approach?
The last thing I wanted to do was put my registration in jeopardy through undertaking something that didn’t conform to regs, I explained that I would only undertake the job if I could remove it and start over,
I dont think they were happy with my suggestion of starting over, I never actually got to see the boiler and decided that if they did get back to me which they haven't, that I dont actually want the headache.

I dont think they were happy with my suggestion of starting over, I never actually got to see the boiler and decided that if they did get back to me which they haven't, that I dont actually want the headache.

Good call. They've already either tried to cut corners or been ripped off once so I can guarantee they won't ever be happy with whoever puts it all right regardless of how little they charge or how well it is done.

There are some jobs where you just can't win; leave them to British Gas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking at un-certified boiler ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock