Search the forum,

Discuss looking at buying some power tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simon m

I am looking at buying some power tools and have seen the ryobi one + tools which look good other than the colour and like the idea that the batteries work on the whole range and they come with a 2yr warranty but don’t know much about them so could any one help me on weather they are any good or not

I need to buy a load of other tools as well as I am just starting out so if in a 2 years they are wearing out not to bothered as should have more money so will be able to buy some dewalt or Makita etc

Thanks for reading

you do get what you pay for... I used to use cheap tools and swear a lot when they were to big and heavy to get into places or batterys run out so quick. Finally bought a dewalt set and my work is twice as easy. That said I was using them for developing rather than just plumbing, also if your on site cheap are better or they will 'vanish' !

will have to agree with you on you get what you pay for and on site good ones will grow legs

the problem is i want to get as the best tools i can but have very little money at mo so like the sound of the ryobi as would only need 3 bats as all the +1s work on the same bats

also the tools have a 2yr warranty so if they last 2 yrs then at least i should have more money so would be able to buy better ones but if they go in the first 2 years its still under warranty so will be able to get them fixed or replaced

but on the other hand i dont want tools that are only for good light diy and will die 1/2 way through the first job
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in that case, if your happy with the size of the tools, and they are at least 18v - should get the job done for a couple of years. I'd check that warranty is valid for professional use..

they are all 18v i would think they would be coverd for professional use as they are sold in screw fix

i was speaking to one of there sales reps in b+q the other week and was asked what trade i was in and then was told 2yrs but will have to look a bit deeper into that

as for the size i am guessing you mean weight etc from the ones they had on show i liked the weight as felt a bit lighter than the combi drill i have but also felt a bit stronger

from what the rep was saying they are at the same level as dewalt and Makita in the usa but he is a sales rep for them so pinch of salt

I bought the same one a few months ago for the same reasons as Simon did - lack of money for a makita/de walt and I too will eventually upgrade to better drills once I can afford to.

Anyway up to now it's doing the job... Admittedly I aint plumbing every day but I have been helping my cuz out a lot, who's a carpenter and it's holding out so far. I'd say it's getting a decent workout without any problems so far?!? Battery seems good up to now aswell.

Hope that helps Simon?

Last edited by a moderator:
go for the best you can afford a the moment,then when you have saved enough buy hilti you will never look back.

carlh cool i am gussing that you have got some of the ryobi one+ range which battery's are you useing as they do 2 or 3 diffrent ones that will fit the range it does help thanks

wards thats the plain when money will let me i will up grade and keep them as back up if they are still going

Only got the low end batteries but like I said holding their charge pretty well (I think) will be upgrading to the lithium ion battery soon, so will be even better.

ok cool thanks
i will prob go with the lithium ion bats fromstart as screw fix do 2 for £99 and 2 battery's and charger £129.97which i dont think is 2 bad

When you are building up your kit you should think seriously about what you really need and how it will be used then (usually) buy the best you can afford instead of thinking one brand fits all. Cordless tools are handy but most times cheaper corded tools are better even than expensive cordless.
Ryobi are only really for light trade use. They have plastic gears which will strip if you put a lot of pressure on them.

You will need a cordless drill/driver. What will it be used for? Mainly driving and drilling the odd 6 or 7mm hole, maybe the odd holesaw?
Get a decent 14v. Much lighter and easier to handle than an 18v and with more than enough power.
Something like
AEG BS14GNC142C 14.4V Drill Driver - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys at £70 it is an excellent buy or for another ton
one of these
Bosch GSB 14.4-2-LI L-Boxx 14.4V Combi Drill - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

For drilling a lot of holes or bigger sizes a decent cordless SDS will be beyond your budget so get a corded like
one of these
DeWalt D25112KL 110V 2kg SDS Plus Drill - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys.
This has as much power as all but the best cordless SDS.

Do you really think you will need a reciprocating saw? They are handy but you won't use it as often as you think. Buy a cheapie in the meantime if you think you need one.
Circular saw. If you do heating installs this tool is an essential. The cordless ones are not powerfull enough for anything serious. Get a corded.

Angle grinder. Very useful. Get any cheap 4 1/2" one for around £20 and a cheap diamond blade for under a fiver (it will cut metal too). If you burn it out bin it and buy another.

A cordless torch? Handy but buy an ordinary one and a trailing light. Every bit as good, infact better.

If you find you may need some heavier stuff, SDS Max, core drills etc, just hire them as you need it.

As i said think carefully how you will use them and buy to suit. Happy shopping:D

Just a heads up, my two latest corless drills are expensive Makitas, nearly £400 each.....and they're crap. Batteries are the new lithium 18Volt ones, also crap. Perhaps we've started to expect too much from a cordless tool, but my Metabo drill is 5 years old and the lithion batteries on that last longer.

I hear Dewalt stuff aint so hot these days either. I really don't know who to suggest, as my brother always hated my Metabo due to it's rather odd forward/reverse switch.

I hear good things about Hilti, but be prepared to spend a lot, and I mean a lot more than I just paid!

I have to say i am not too impressed with lithium batteries either. Had some Makita ones totally die after about a year and a half. I HATE how they cut out if you are pushing them and won't go again until they cool. And it also annoys me when they run flat with little, if any warning.

Li - ion technology is not all it is cracked up to be.
If you've had your laptop more than around a year run it with just the battery and you will be lucky to get 20 mins from it. Same batteries:(

I've got an Hitachi 18v Li-ion combi drill, hasn't had too much punishment yet but batteries last well and it's very light. Metal gears too.

I like my dewalt 18 volt drill with nicad batteries. Had a tough start to life and now the dust from the plasterboard has burned off it's going like a dream. One battery lasts a week or two (obviously depending on how much it's used) and the other battery lasts about half a day.

Have you seen a lithium battery on fire? Try Youtube. They're the source of spectacular crashes with model aircraft and things like that too! I don't always buy into new technology as soon as it's on the scene.

I've got an Hitachi 18v Li-ion combi drill, hasn't had too much punishment yet but batteries last well and it's very light. Metal gears too.

I just got an hitachi in b&q today on offer at 99 quid seems to be decent kit

If you can afford it, I swear by Milwaukee. The 18v range is the bees-knees. All metal gearboxes!! check out the website or dealers as there are some tasty offers-especially the drill / impact driver set. not sure if they will be at the tool show in surrey next week.

When you are building up your kit you should think seriously about what you really need and how it will be used then (usually) buy the best you can afford instead of thinking one brand fits all. Cordless tools are handy but most times cheaper corded tools are better even than expensive cordless.
Ryobi are only really for light trade use. They have plastic gears which will strip if you put a lot of pressure on them.

You will need a cordless drill/driver. What will it be used for? Mainly driving and drilling the odd 6 or 7mm hole, maybe the odd holesaw?
Get a decent 14v. Much lighter and easier to handle than an 18v and with more than enough power.
Something like
AEG BS14GNC142C 14.4V Drill Driver - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys at £70 it is an excellent buy or for another ton
one of these
Bosch GSB 14.4-2-LI L-Boxx 14.4V Combi Drill - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

For drilling a lot of holes or bigger sizes a decent cordless SDS will be beyond your budget so get a corded like
one of these
DeWalt D25112KL 110V 2kg SDS Plus Drill - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys.
This has as much power as all but the best cordless SDS.

Do you really think you will need a reciprocating saw? They are handy but you won't use it as often as you think. Buy a cheapie in the meantime if you think you need one.
Circular saw. If you do heating installs this tool is an essential. The cordless ones are not powerfull enough for anything serious. Get a corded.

Angle grinder. Very useful. Get any cheap 4 1/2" one for around £20 and a cheap diamond blade for under a fiver (it will cut metal too). If you burn it out bin it and buy another.

A cordless torch? Handy but buy an ordinary one and a trailing light. Every bit as good, infact better.

If you find you may need some heavier stuff, SDS Max, core drills etc, just hire them as you need it.

As i said think carefully how you will use them and buy to suit. Happy shopping:D

excellent experienced advice

I concur!

You need a 12v drill driver and 2kg sds corded drill to start.
In fact you could get away with this initially and add a 18V cordless
later - although you need to look at spending £300 on a good one.

Screwfix do a dewalt sds and drill/driver for £150 squid would be a good
place to start.

Budget brands are good for other tools that you use infrequently -£30 a pop.

Good budget brands /erbaur-performance power (b&q) and wicked own brands.

I have an erbaur 6kgsds which I bought for £60. Thought it would die, but just
keeps going and going!!!

Good luck!

If you can afford it, I swear by Milwaukee. The 18v range is the bees-knees. All metal gearboxes!! check out the website or dealers as there are some tasty offers-especially the drill / impact driver set. not sure if they will be at the tool show in surrey next week.

Aeg is exactly the same drills

I use a Bosch 36 volt lithium sds drill
Had it 4 years gets a lot of heavy use never had a problem with it and batts as good as new
Looks expensive but will be cheaper in long run if you buy cheap stuff

on a side note - b and q are offering a 18v aeg drill with lithium ion battery for 79 squid with a free accesory kit - only one battery mind - if i dint have they milwaukee 18 volt drill i would be definatly inclined to get that at that price.

on a side note - b and q are offering a 18v aeg drill with lithium ion battery for 79 squid with a free accesory kit - only one battery mind - if i dint have they milwaukee 18 volt drill i would be definatly inclined to get that at that price.

Probably worth buying just for the battery and spare charger;)

my thoughts exactly - they have a range of things aeg there in the branch near me - circular - drills etc - was shocked to see them there - i always take a look when im in there as they do have some good deals there sometimes.

I find panasonic do the best power tools by miles. They last ages batteries are great. Much better than makita/bosch/dewalt. They are not the cheapest thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to looking at buying some power tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock