Search the forum,

Discuss Lockshield radiator valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would appreciate a bit of advice:

I have just fitted a magna clean, flushed all the sludge out of the rads and put inhibitor in the system. I've got a combi with 10 rads. I'm going to balance the system properly using digital thermometers but just to get things up and running again: can anyone advise me on how many turns to open the lockshield valves? Before I started mine were all fully open - I have got TRV's on all but one rad. I have read they should be opened between a 1/4 and 1/2 a turn. This seems a very small amount as to fully open the valves takes a lot of turns - I am a bit puzzled why they were all left fully open.
many thanks in advance for any help and advice.
GlynnH

Each system on its own merits.

You could start with 1/2 a turn, see how they feel, open up the cooler ones a bit more.

I would get them all feeling the same temp first and then check Flow and Return at the boiler.

I always aim for 11 deg between flow and return.

Heating is a very in depth subject and there are variations on methods and different opinions to contend with. You may get other ideas on here and other suggestions. I'm just giving you a very rough guide on the subject and avoiding getting into the technicalities.

Each system on its own merits.

You could start with 1/2 a turn, see how they feel, open up the cooler ones a bit more.

I would get them all feeling the same temp first and then check Flow and Return at the boiler.

I always aim for 11 deg between flow and return.

Heating is a very in depth subject and there are variations on methods and different opinions to contend with. You may get other ideas on here and other suggestions. I'm just giving you a very rough guide on the subject and avoiding getting into the technicalities.

Thanks, that's very helpful. If I aim for 11 degrees across my rads should the flow and return at the boiler end up about right?

Thanks, that's very helpful. If I aim for 11 degrees across my rads should the flow and return at the boiler end up about right?

yes and anywhere from 11-20 is fine

yes and anywhere from 11-20 is fine

So true Mr Shaun, so true.

You really want the return below 53 degrees or a bit lower if poss but this all effects heat output from rads and that's where the size of them matters and it all gets more involved.

You can increase the temp diff like Shaun says which does help sometimes.

That's why I said each on its own merits really.
That's where experience enters the equation.

See how you go, come back and tell us how you're doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lockshield radiator valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Plumbers I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required. All was ok until I've spotted a v small leak (like 1 drip per hour) between the valve nut and extension piece. So I suspect I just need more PTFE + compound...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock