Search the forum,

Discuss Letting agent charges in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitenbulsara

Gas Engineer
Evening
I have been approached by two letting agents but up until now I have kept my dinstance and focused on private work.

I would be greatfull if you could help me out in setting out my charges.
1.Callout charge ?
2.out of hours
3.weekend day time
4.weekend evening
5.hourly rate including estimating ando fuel

Thanks in advance

1 £40 - £60
2 double normal hour pay
3 sat 1.5 x normal hour pay, sunday 2 x normal hour pay
4 sat 2 x normaly hour pay, sunday 3 x normaly hour pay
5 whats your rate now and add 10-15 for fuel (locally or more ir further)

Some are right dodge pots.
Ask who did them last - and why they stopped...

Some are right dodge pots.
Ask who did them last - and why they stopped...

All the letting agents in my area claim to be paying £30 for cp12s and call outs I only know of one that pays more (£50) and that's only because their gas fitter is the assistant managers husband. I'm in Sunderland. However I've just left a company that was charging £69 plus vat per hour for all work but held large contracts with insurance companies

letting agents will always tell you they are paying £30.00 ish for cp12's but they are charging their customers £100.00 they just want it as cheap as possible so they can make profit off the gas engineer or electrician. at £30.00 it is not viable for a gas fitter unless they guarantee you 10+ cp12's a week plus any call outs. is it worth it for £30.00 thats what you have to ask yourself, you have your overhead Van, insurance, liability insurance, fuel, registration, tools, workwear, add up your outgoings and then make your decision, i personally wouldnt do a cp12 for less than £50.00. but realistically want £60.00

When they said they were getting it for that I offered to match the price and they said they didn't need me as they already had a couple of gas fitters. Same spiel from nearly all of them. I used to charge one estate agent £25 a cp12 for 1 appliance but that was only because they would give me 10-14 cp12s a time for 1 day all within the same post code area I.e within a three mile radius it was an agreement with them that kept me afloat and gave me some good experience. Unfortunately my area is flooded with new gas engineers who have done the 1 year course with no experience so it's hard to compete. I now give a discount to pensioners and veterans meaning I do private services for £35 and offer the same discounts to people who offer large quantities of work. Otherwise my services are £40-45 and call out fee is £35 for first half an hour then £30 an hour after that. I still get people expecting free call outs for break downs they think just because I'm cheap they can take the pee. But I don't leave the house for free unless it's to qoute for installs.

I only do some for 1 in my area. I tend to shy away from landlords.
Had bizarre experiences lately with them.

1 bloke called me other night at 7pm stating his boiler had gone off and he couldnt get in touch with the engineer who does his landlording duties - so i said its £40 to turn out and then more for repair.
He nearly choked on his own tongue - so i put the phone down. He was going on like i owed him a favour.

Another...i never met or spoke to ever called me..

I have a property at such and such. Baxi fault 168.
Can you go to x address pick the keys up. Fix it. Drop the key off and just text me whe done and ill sort payment...

Second word was off. I told him its not how i operate with never having met him before and no address etc..and how do i know he has authority.

Hence I don't like landlords/letting agents full stop. My experience of them in my area is they are a bit dodgy..& want work done for nowt.

Im sure there are a few good ones but theyve yet to call me etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Letting agent charges in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock