Search the forum,

Discuss Learn plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

loftydriver

has anyone heard of this study at home company called....

learn plumbing.co.uk

£285 for advance training, you have to sorce your own practical work experience. but alot cheaper than £5000 at olci, or train 4 trade skills etc?

yes i have.
but its not a training course, its a theory manual in two ring binders that teaches the theory behind plumbing skills in but in depth, in 20 something modules with c&g type multi choice questions at the end of each module.
it alone gives no practicle skills and these are to be sought else where.
in other words after 10 months of home study, you would be better going to college for the same wonga, or paying more for the same plus praticle on a fast track for about £2,500. shop around.
one things for sure, the theory where ever you go is all the same author, brian curry.

Thanks for the comments, I have also found out that i might have problems with public liability insurance without a cirtificate of some sort, ie c&g or gnvq. Is this the case??

I am just trying to avoid paying £5000 and taking 4 weeks of work, for practical training.

correct me if im wrong, but legally, i can put a sign on a van and go and do residential plumbing repairs.??

I have a good understanding of the trade, but would be more confident with some core theroy and practical training. surely it can be done for less that £ 5000??

Thanks for the comments, I have also found out that i might have problems with public liability insurance without a cirtificate of some sort, ie c&g or gnvq. Is this the case??

I am just trying to avoid paying £5000 and taking 4 weeks of work, for practical training.

correct me if im wrong, but legally, i can put a sign on a van and go and do residential plumbing repairs.??

I have a good understanding of the trade, but would be more confident with some core theroy and practical training. surely it can be done for less that £ 5000??
I think there is nothing to stop the world and his wife calling themselves a plumber without any quals and still being legal.

Anyone can call themselves a plumber, but do they have the knowledge of the laws relating to domestic plumbing ie wras, unvented legislation and the british stands for installation criterea.

Sure you can go an do basic plumbing but are you fit to go and install water mains from a meter to a house, do you understand all the testing required for drains, pipework etc. But most of all you cant do any work legally on gas/oil/electric boilers unless you hold the correct tickets. Are you willing to risk being sued if a householder discovers you have charged them for work that doesnt meet current regulations?

Hence why it costs time and money to get the right qualifications and knowledge. If you want to buy a van and start working, all that happens is that you wont get the better paid work and only cheap skate people will use you in the long term. Money making this isnt the way to go, get the skills first , then you can earn reasonable money, go talk to your loacla college, they have schemmes and finances available to people changing roles etc, good luck.

I understand that correct training and qualifications make a good plumber, and there are no real short cuts. when looking at all these training centers it is split up into theory and practical.
What im saying is i can do the theory myself, ie books, nvq training manuals,ect. Is there anywhere that i can do the practical assesments on a turn up and work baisis. pay as you go idea.

I am not afraid of putting in the work its just with a full time job and a mortgage, there must be a more flexable, more cost efective way to get qualified, and out earning self employed???

sorry to beat on, but why dont you go to the local college on dayrelease once a week or twice a week at night classes and work weekends and hopefully make some contacts via college to achieve the practical side. Reading the books isnt the answer, you dont learn shotcuts or different methods of achieving the end result from books alone, you need the experience of the lecturers and others in your class. I should know I did it the college way over 5 years (had to have a yr off ) and worked at the same time as a self employed property developer/plumber before getting my gas tickets. You wont get people taking you on if you have no tickets, and working for yourself wont bring in the cash until you can do the gas/oil work properly and I can say this from experience.:eek:

It doesnlt sound like you’re getting very much for your money, if it’s just the theory! You need to get the right qualifications or your on very dodgy ground if you ask me. The places you mentioned might cost more but you get what you pay for. I trained with OLCI and was happy with them, got all the right certificates and feel I knew everything I needed to to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Learn plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hi im 26 and im looking for a plumbing apprenticeship or plumbers mate job in cornwall, i have WRAS Water Regulations certificate. I was previously learning an Nvq in plumbing with Access 2 Trade Carreers, i only had exams to complete before i finished but they went into administration before i...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
A
Hi there New to the forum and new to the world of plumbing :D Im 29 and for the last 10 years have been commuting to Oxford from Birmingham to the BMW plant to build the MINI. Moved in with my partner at the start of year and after much debating and sleepless nights I put in for my...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
J
Can anyone give me some advice on where to start :confused: I am a 30 year old girl and I'm looking to start a new career in plumbing. I work full time shifts as cabin crew and can't afford to give up work to do a college course, as I work different days/times night school is also a bit tricky...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
B
Hi everyone, im new on here my names Ben from west wales, looking to go out plumbing on my own soon, ive been doing the plumbing course with train 4 trade skills i know its not the best way about it but just simply cannot go to college as i wouldnt be able to afford to live with paying rent etc...
Replies
Views
Keithyos
K
M
Hello everyone, I'm a self employed sparky currently doing the train 4 trade skills course and as such I have been bringing in small amounts of plumbing work and then passing it on to a plumber I know, while I work with him, in order to get more practical experience. I've now been asked to...
Replies
Views
T
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock