Search the forum,

Discuss Leaky shower pipe after repair in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pennines

Hi, I am covered with British Gas homecare so called them out to a rumbling when hot taps were on, they changed the washer in the downstairs taps and replaced the tap. A day later rumbling started again when tap upstairs was on and downstairs tap, all the while a drip at the back of the shower tap had been getting worse, going from a drip to a trickle, they came back and replaced the upstairs washers, rumblings stopped and drip stopped...for a day...rumbling has stopped but the drip started again going from about five a minute to twenty a minute. Worse when central heating is on. Is this air or does the tap need tightening? I don't want it to be some sort of release and then leaks elsewhere it can cause damage as currently it's leaking in the bath. Thanks! P1110351.jpgP1110351.jpg

Tighten the nut up a bit

Hi, thanks for the reply
can you tell me why it stopped leaking on the first day he fixed it please and yet started again? if the nut was tight enough to suppress the leak for 24 hours then started leaking, do they come loose on their own, will it need a new nut? Thanks

Who knows?!! I don't. Waters a funny thing. One day all tickety boo the next you're swimming in it.

Which is why I would like advice before calling them back...I don't want to take the risk of him tightening it up and it start leaking down the back instead and the kitchen below swimming in it. Had that problem once before, three plumbers scratching their heads over a leaky tap in my old house and never did find the problem, hence joining the homecare - so far same problem. :D

Is it possible it's already over tightened? Olive squeezed the pipe a little too much? Undo and wrap a little PTFE tape around the olive to seal could be the simple answer.

You pay enough for the cover, get them out to fix it properly. The drip is 1 fault the noise may be another!

If he fitted a fibre washer it just needs a squeeze, or it was to tight and it's split. Easy to check.
Ps lots of calcium around your shower bar, make life easy and fittings last longer and fit a water softener

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaky shower pipe after repair in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Please can someone advise how to fix this shower that leaks? I guess I need to replace the washers inside the taps. Is it the blue or red one? My local DIY place didn't have the washer last time I attempted this. The cold tap is the culprit, a bit soft to tighten and leaks unless really tight...
Replies
Views
i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then drip slowly after that...........i put a bucket under the shower head to collect the water for 26 hours the first time.............then 19 hours the...
Replies
Views
I have a Bristan Manhattan mixer tap in the kitchen. Five years ago, it started to drip. I replaced the valve in the cold water side and the dripping stopped. Recently it began to drip again and I replaced the valve again. But, it still drips sometimes. I’m trying to replace the valve on the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock