Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Leaking toilet cistern in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. kgw2511

kgw2511 New Member

My 12 year old toilet began weeping between the cistern and toilet base. It was only a minor leak and didn't appear to be linked to flushing the toilet.
    I replaced the cistern o-ring yesterday and everything seemed fine until today. Now whenever the toilet is flushed, a considerable amount of water leaks from between the cistern and toilet.

The original 0-ring (on the left) looks as if it was made from a rubber material whereas the new one feels like some type of compressed foam material.

Any suggestions about what is happening and how to fix it?

Many thanks.

ps The only damage I can see in the old o-ring is a very small nick (at the 12 o'clock position). Would that be enough to cause it to fail?

IMG_20170903_143640785.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I have used the ones Shaun has mentioned, personally I find them a bit hard , I use the centerbrand ( plumb center ) ones they are slightly thinner and softer .
    Dont bother with the foam ones .

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I have used all three and find the plumb centre ones the best. But I have removed a foam one and replaced with a rubber before and it leaked after a week so I had to put a foam one back in.

5. kgw2511

kgw2511 New Member

Thanks for all of your replies. Plumbcenter did not stock the type that I had in the toilet originally and only sold the thinner (more traditional washer shape) version. I didn't know whether that was suitable. I guess by what has been said, I could use the thinner type? A photo of of the toilet pan is attached. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20170903_205758408.jpg

6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

C54070 was the old part center number and it comes as a kit. It will be slightly smaller then the one you have but with a bit of effort it will squash over the end of the syphon and retaining nut.

7. NeilPlumb

NeilPlumb New Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

Plumbcenter sell them, bought one Thursday. Ideal Standard Studio doughnut,