Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Leaking shower question in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Theo2017

Theo2017 New Member

hi all,

I have a question I hope someone can advise. I have a shower in the bathroom over the bath, it has an overhead head and a handheld one which are controlled by a diverter valve, there is also the shower tap that controls the temperature and flow in one.

The shower now has a leak, if I turn the diverter to the overhead it leaks from there and if I turn it to the handheld it leaks from there.

The issue I have is we have recently Brought a new bathroom suite which is getting installed at the end of the summer so I don't really want to pay out a couple of hundred pounds to fix this as it's all going to get ripped out anyway.

Is there any way I can do a temporary fix to this to stop the leak? I thought if maybe buying some of that flex seal tape and taping the handheld one so it doesn't leak out and just temporarily using the overhead one, is that something that will cause me more problems? Does anyone have any advice regarding this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Can you not get the cartridge for it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Theo2017

Theo2017 New Member

Thanks for the reply. This particular shower was from screwfix about 7 years ago and they no longer seller it. Can you get generic cartridges or are they all specific per tap?
    The new system is all Crosswater and I've brought extra cartridges should this happen in future.

4. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

If you want to know what cartridge is required just upload a couple of pics here or send them to showerdoctor they'll give you an advise on what you need and how much it is.

As mentioned best would be changing the cartridge

• Like Like x 1
  5. Theo2017

Theo2017 New Member

Thanks. Is it a simple job to change a cartridge, like a diy job or do I need a plumber?

6. Harvest Fields

Depends on how confident you are at stuff like that. If you are hesitant, get a plumber in.

7. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Have you got any pictures ?
    Edit because I had the same question asked. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Theo2017

Theo2017 New Member

This is the unit

Dropbox - Photo 13-07-2017, 23 18 12.jpg

Was originally from screwfix. I've taken a look and can't see any way to remove the front part. Could it be possible that the cartridge goes in from the back?

Thanks

9. Harvest Fields

There will either be a grub screw hidden on the opposite side to the handle or a grub screw underneath the handle.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Theo2017

Theo2017 New Member

There definitely isn't a visible screw/grub screw around the front couple of parts. Tomorrow I will try and remove the handle. Should it just twist off with pliers? Not too worried about scratching it as it's all going in the bin soon.

Thanks

11. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Theo2017

Theo2017 New Member

Perfect thanks. Will give it a try tomorrow and update with the result.

Thanks for the help.

13. Plubber

Plubber New Member

Have you managed to resolve the leak issue?

14. Theo2017

Theo2017 New Member

The drama continues, so just to update, I went to turn the stopcock off to shut off all the water and it was totally jammed, I didn't want to break it or damage it any more so Homeserve is coming out on Wednesday to fix the stopcock. Once fixed I'll be able to hopefully get the tap off to get photos of the cartridge. I will update as soon as they have fixed the stopcock and I can turn off the water. :)

15. Theo2017

Theo2017 New Member

Hi, so the stopcock is fixed. I removed the handle, there was a nut underneath which I removed. after a lot of twisting back and forth I took off the front handle. This is what I have left:

Dropbox - Photo 19-07-2017, 16 32 04.jpg

There was a small metal washer at the front which I removed.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove the cartridge. Not too sure what part to try and move next.

thanks for any advice.