Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Rad tail Extensions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got these rad tail extension pieces from tool station
Radiator Valve Extension 25mm - Toolstation

Ive tried a couple of times and I can’t get a decent seal on them using ptfe.

Will give it one more go and use more ptfe but if they continue to weep im wondering if it is feasible to use hawk white on them instead as ive i have a tin of that in the shed.

Cheers

How many turns you using 12 - 14 needed bit of hawk won't hurt but not needed really paste the olive and rad valve union with it though good luck kop

Sack them off and use the ones with the rubber ring on the inside edge.

Thanks kop.

Yea i normally use hawk on the olive & valve union with very few problems.

Made sure the extensions were fully screwed in with no thread showing.
Im sure i did at least 12 turns but it is possible i might have been a bit shy on the number of turns so will make sure i do at least 14.

If it's leaking more ptfe is needed or loctite 577 (that will work 100%)

Best I can do at the minute mate.

IMG_9509.PNG

If the tail is easy to turn on last couple threads, then there isn't enough ptfe tape on the threads. I would also advise use some paste because it adds sealant to a joint, but also lubricates the joint allowing the ptfe to go into threads better.
One tip is to taper the ptfe tape (put it on an extra few half wraps on last threads) so that it will guarantee the tail tightens and seals well. Not so important if the tails have a shoulder to tighten against.

You have to always remember that ordinary ptfe tape is extremely thin and requires several wraps to make any decent thickness.
This might sound strange, but threads can vary between different manufacturers slightly and you can find some rads for example or fittings can need less ptfe than others.
That is why I still get caught out and immediately need to remove a rad tail, or fitting because I was able to almost hand tighten it on, so obviously hadn't enough tape.

1. Hold plain part in left hand with threaded point pointing to right.
2. End of PTFE tape on top of thread, trapped with finger.
3. Wrap away from you at top, round behind then up from underneath.
4. 15 wraps minimum, 20 won't do any harm unless the thread is very tight to start with, which yours clearly isn't.

The thread on the adaptor SHOULD be a tapered thread. The adaptor should screw in, but not up to the point where there is no thread showing. If it goes that far, then there will be a leak as it won't be tight in the radiator.

Firstly, don't use ptfe tape, it won't stay put on the threads.
Get a file or hacksaw blade and roughen up the threads on the fitting, this will help to grip the loctite 55 string which you should wrap around about 12 times after you've put some Jet paste on the threads, not too much though. Wrap the string on nice and tight and work from the one end to the other.
Never fails.
You should always roughen the thread when using tape/string.

The thread on the adaptor SHOULD be a tapered thread.
Negative....these extensions have straight threads.
I did think that might cause a slight issue when buying.

I'll try tapering my ptfe ad mentioned in an earlier post.
Might try gas ptfe as thats supposed to be thicker.

I have been using ordinary ptfe tape on rad rails for decades and no leaks ever with it at all. Just needs plenty of tape, but not overdone, as too much tape will just push back off threads.
Use paste and you will notice the tape goes neater into the joint.
Boss White is probably the best paste for certain types of heating work, like rad tails, as it will ooze into threads and harden/seal with heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Rad tail Extensions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock