Search the forum,

Discuss leaking problem with greenstar 24i condensing boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mardey

hi i need some advice i have a 24i greenstar boiler its only about 3 years old .Just recently i noticed that when i turn on the c / heating the boiler fires up ok but after about 10 minutes or so i starts to leak from the base of the boiler,im talking about the large chrome looking unit that looks like a tea urne .It seems to have a black plastic base with 2 screws on the bottom front that hold a plastic plate on . my water pressure was at 1.5 since i saw the leak i putit up to 2.0 bar .I can still get hot water as normal from the tap or shower but as i said once the water starts moving around the system the front base part starts to leak , sorry to make it sound so long winded ! any advice would be very grateful .. pete

Sounds like the heat exchanger. Can you post a picture. Back the pressure off to just below 1.5 bar. This will take the stain off of it.

thank you for replying to my post i will see if i can get a picture and as you said turn down the pressure ... pete

thank you for replying to my post i will see if i can get a picture and as you said turn down the pressure ... pete
hi mate, sorry not got back to you still having problems with boiler .Ive since tirned the pressure down to 1.5 bar it was running ok with hot water nd c/ heating but on friday just gone it packed up .There is a little black line on the dial marked at 1 bar so i drained a couple of cups of water from a downstairs rad to 1 bar ,now boiler will fire up goes through a bit of a cycle then sounds like it gonna cut out but goes on again a couple of times then it gives up with resulting with red light reset button coming on , oh and while going through cycle its making a winening noise i did get a reply saying it may be the heat exchanger [what is the heat exchanger and wots its job] and the big thing that looks like a tea urn was getting hot last ,but now is not getting hot at all and still have a leak at the base of this large type of cylinder that looks like tea urn . Any ideas please ... pete

sorry dont know how to post pic will try and get a friend to show me

Worcester Junior.jpgSounds like heat exchanger. Is your condensate waste blocked?

Get a qualified engineer in to look at it. This problem is going to require work that you have to qualified to do, i.e. Gas Safe.

hi mate , the pic you have put up is the same as the one i have ,i initially thought i might be just a simple thing wrong with it as its never giving me problems before ,thats why i was going for a bit of advice in case it was some thing simple like drop in water pressure ,and i dont no where the condensate waste pipe is and a bit concerned that the pipes dont freeze up as the weather is not getting any better .... pete

It sounds like you need a GSR engineer to look at it. Thoughts about frozen condensate disharge pipe. The condensate can't get away and backs up into the heat exchanger. This will cause the boiler to fail safe and turn off. It could be this, so check the discharge at the drain or where ever its terminating.

thank you for replying ,much appreciate your help ,i will check the pipe to see if its blocked if not i will call an engineer ... thank you pete

is there a fault light showing?
this happened to me last year and blew my circuit board

hi , ive been and looked at my boiler and found the condensate pipe was blocked up with ice where it came out of the loft onto the outside guttering the whole lot was solid ice took it all apart and cleared it all out , boiler working fine now just like to say a big thank you to for first replying to my posts and secondly giving me advice on seeking out the problem . it was very much appreicated .... pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to leaking problem with greenstar 24i condensing boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock