Discuss Leaking joint on DHW output pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a small leak from a compression joint on the DHW 22mm output pipe close to the boiler. I've isolated the DCW inlet and I ran the hot taps in the property to evacuate some water from the pipes but very little water came out, literally a few mls. How much water could still be in the pipework/boiler (sealed combi)? There are only 2 hot taps in the property and they're both in adjacent rooms to the boiler. Depending on how the pipes have been routed could there be litres? I have 2 flats below me so this always makes the stakes a bit higher and I'd rather not have a novel water fountain..

Thanks for the help

Shouldn't be that much a towel below the joint should be good enough to catch any drips

Are you sure it's the DHW?
Post a pic
I'm fairly certain it is DHW as the pipe is warm when the heating is off and the warm taps are run. Also my boiler manual says so, assuming it's been plumbed as per the manual! Looking at the lack of workmanship on this it wouldn't surprise me if it was hooked up wrong! I've thought a bit more about this and the only water to come out should be the volume that is higher than this connection? So long as the pipe routing doesn't go up to roof space the taps are only a little higher than the leak point.

20171022_202857.jpg

Looks like a trusty 22mm fitting on an old 3/4" pipe. If you have isolated mains in then undo nut add some jointing compound and tighten back up. Should do the job.

Yeh shut off the main water going into the boiler. Open a hot tap to releave any pressure then close it. Then crack the nut. Should only be a small amount of water.

I would leave the tap open as when you open the fitting on the pipe, air will be sucked in and force water out the hot tap.

If you left the hot tap closed air would not be sucked in and hot water will be held back in pipework...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking joint on DHW output pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back