Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Isolation Valve Bathroom Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post here so I any help if possible would be greatly appreciated.

I changed a basin mixer tap in my bathroom yesterday but turning off the isolation valves. All fine except when I opened one of the valves it's now leaking from the screw. Reading online this seems to be a common issue with these type of valves especially if they're old.

I've just been to screwfix to get a replacement valve but my question is what is the process to be able to replace the valve?

I have a combi boiler and I've read that I should follow this process:

Turn of boiler at mains
Turn off main water supply
Drain water from taps.
Replace valve
Turn mains water back on
Run water through taps
Turn boiler back on.

Is the process above correct? Will I need to repressurise the boiler when it's turned back on?

Any advice would be a great help.

Last edited:
Thats exactly how i do mine. The pressure gauge relates to the radiators not the water flow for the tap outlets.

Sounds good
If you can, get someone to turn the water back on while you wait in the bathroom just in case

Sounds good
If you can, get someone to turn the water back on while you wait in the bathroom just in case

Ha ha, yeah, "just in case"!!!!

I like to use jointing compound on my compression joints, some use ptfe around the olive, others use nothing and rely purely on the fitting. I seem to get naff fittings sometimes (you get what you pay for!) so the compund is great if there is an ever so slight tolerance issue between the olive and fitting.

Last edited:
Actually that was something I was going to ask whether I needed to use sealing compound. Also will it be OK to reuse the 30cm of pipe I'm fixing the valve to?

If it were me i would look at the compression fitting and nuts to see if they are the same as your new ones. If they are i would just try swapping the isolator body over with the existing nuts and olives that are still on the pipe. Its worth a try then if you cant get a seal remove the old olives and nuts and replace with new. The pipe should be fine unless someones crushed it overtightening in the past.

I am not a plumber by the way, just a serial house mover/renovator!!!

Plumbers might prefer to use grips or waterpump pliers but i just use two spanners. One to sit over the isolator so the slotted tap part is in the back of the U on the spanner to avoid damage, this enables you to keep the isolator body still whilst you tighten the nut down to it with the other spanner.

Glad youve sorted it. Check it again later just to make sure its not weeping. If it is then just give it a slight nip up at whichever end is leaking. Make sure you hold the isolator body still as you do it or you will end up with a leak at both ends of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Isolation Valve Bathroom Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
I have been trying to turn off my outside tap for winter. When I turn the valve under the kitchen sink, it fails to stop the outside tap from running. This valve does seem very stiff. I am assuming I have to turn the value clockwise since if I turn it anti-clockwise it actually starts dripping...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock