Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking hot water pipe in concrete. Replacement advice needed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Has anyone come across anything similar. Sorry there are so many questions. Many thanks in anticipation.

My daughter has moved, 5 weeks ago. The previous owners had a hive system on the Worcester-Bosch combi boiler. They replaced it with a hive thermostat and my daughter eventually got it talking to the boiler. She had hot water but no central heating. The boiler kept cycling. Plumber 1 came and couldn’t figure our what was happening. Worcester-Bosch engineer came and diagnosed leak in hot water system. Estimated as 2 litres a minute ... 20 cubic metres in 3 weeks, somewhere unnoticed, and then there was 200 cubic metres of gas that had been used.

The Boiler gave priority to hot water, so with this leak the heating couldn’t turn on the diverter valve. Engineer showed how to close hot water outlet on the boiler ... so now CH works.

I have had a look at the pipework. A mix of copper and plastic. I have located the area where I think the pipe is leaking. It’s very wet, soaking the walls. How could a pipe be leaking so much when buried in concrete? Where is the water going? Do I dig up the concrete and repair the pipe, Or put a Long new run in to bypass it? Use plastic rather than copper? I have never done water pipe plumbing. I don’t like the ugly elbows.

It seems that the mains water supply is also buried in the same location. Is this likely to corrode as well?

youve confirmed theres a water leak by checking with the water meter ?

Get a engineer to sort it is my advice abandon the leaking pipework and get it rerouted above ground , hire a dehumidifier and dry out the walls and floor. Cheers kop

youve confirmed theres a water leak by checking with the water meter ?
There is no water meter. With all the taps off, and opening the hot water outlet valve on the boiler, it will fire up, and you can feel the hot water moving through the pipe. Definitely hot water moving out of the boiler when the taps are off.

There is no water meter. With all the taps off, and opening the hot water outlet valve on the boiler, it will fire up, and you can feel the hot water moving through the pipe. Definitely hot water moving out of the boiler when the taps are off.

you sure its not the pre heat function ? make sure the eco setting it on (turns pre heat off)

With that sort of damage. I would be getting her insurance to sort it. Might have done other damage to the property.

you sure its not the pre heat function ? make sure the eco setting it on (turns pre heat off)

Hankas, we tried using the eco mode. That had no effect. The two plumbers / engineers who followed confirmed that was not the issue.

Definately a huge leak under the concrete. A small weeping leak from a joint I can understand ... but 2 litres a minute!

Call insurance co, dig things up and get it sorted ...winter is coming and only cowboys will be on call soon to none regular customers. You can hear the jingle of their spurs as they walk up your drive

water is lazy and will find its easiest route away which doesnt mean it will bubble up throught the concrete it will be heading down through any cracks

Hankas, we tried using the eco mode. That had no effect. The two plumbers / engineers who followed confirmed that was not the issue.

Definately a huge leak under the concrete. A small weeping leak from a joint I can understand . but 2 litres a minute!
2 litres a min is monster I am glad I don’t live downhill from you !

water is lazy and will find its easiest route away which doesnt mean it will bubble up throught the concrete it will be heading down through any cracks
But surely there will be a damp proof membrane, it’s a late 60s floor I think, so the water can’t go down!

Reply to Leaking hot water pipe in concrete. Replacement advice needed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock