Search the forum,

Discuss leaking copper push fits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkS

Hi everyone, I have just plumbed a shower in, usin compression fittings, and 1 push fit connector.

The copper push fit was used because it was an inaccessible place, too difficult to solder or use compressions.

However, it leaks!! :veryangry2:

Any ideas what to do? I cant afford to call a plumber in as I have just lost my job. Any idea how good waterproof putty is?

Leave the putty in the tub. There must be a reason for it to leak. Did you cut the pipe cleanly and straight? Is it very old pipe work? Did you fully push it onto the pipe?

Oh and welcome!

It is leaking because you didn't debur the pipe and it's damaged the o ring. Only way to make a permanent seal is to remove it if it's the removable Cuprofit type and you have the removal tool.

Cut the pipe with pipe cutters and debur the pipe with a deburring tool. Insert the pipe partially into the fitting and then twist it fully home into the fitting in a clockwise direction.

you failed to push it home fully or damaged the 'o' ring as mentioned, take it of before it blows!.
what fitting is it?

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice so far!!

It is a Cuprofit fitting. I didn't cut the tube or fit it - it was done for me by an electrician, who had to go to the loft to do some other jobs for me. I know he used proper pipe cutters, but I presume from what you have said that he didnt debur the pipe, or pushed it home properly.

I have turned the water off at the isolator, so it isn't under any pressure at the minute.

Part of me is now thinking it might be easier and cheaper to start again with a new piece of pipe - and a big part of me thinks I might do it with plastic pipe!

However, if I have damaged the 'O' ring, would it be more advisable to use a new fitting as well?

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated!

using plastic dont forget to use inserts to support the pipe and replace the duff fittings with new.

I have used Cuprofit for a long time mostly without any issues, and as I said in my earlier post, it sounds like the o ring has been damaged. Don't let your electrician do plumbing!!!

You will have to remove the fitting either by purchasing a fitting removal tool or cutting it off. If you are joining on to copper piping, you can use a JG Speedfit push fit fitting. To fit, twist the nut a quarter turn to unlock it, push it home fully into the fitting and twist the nut a quarter turn to lock it. Give it a pull to engage the collet and make sure it's secure. If you use plastic pipe, use the same manufacturers pipe as the fittings that you use. You will also need inserts on each end of the pipe, which in the case of JG are called Supaseal.

Don't under any circumstances, cut plastic pipe with a hack saw, use only a plastic pipe cutter designed for it. Use pipe cutters and debur the edge when cutting copper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again everyone - can't make my mind up whether to use copper or plastic now!!

Can I use copper ipe with JG fittings, or am I trying to make life to easy for myself lol?!

Pipe cutters and a debur it is then!!!! Chances are, I might be able to use the existing pipe. (Not normally this tight, but recently lost my job, which is why did the job myself and said yes to my electrician mate who was doing it for nothing lol!!)

turn water off, open another tap to let it drain/depressurize, then try to push it down further.

worth trying first before you go again. otherwise ring is split.

Thanks again everyone - you can all guess what this afternoons job is!!

If I don't let you know how its gone, then it is for 1 of 2 reasons - I'm out celebrating that its gone right. Or I'm out getting drunk and drowning my sorrows lol!!

Thanks again, Mark

It worked - NO LEAKS!!!

Disconnected from the isolator first, then took the old copper push fitting off.

Two mins to put the Speedfit elbow on, and then married the pipe to it. Straight in, quarter turn, collet locked in on both parts no problems.

When I came to connect it back onto the isolator, the pipe is fractionally short, maybe 3 or 4mm. I could get away with it, but I suspect that since my electrician mate fit the pipe at the isolator first, he may have cut it short, and it didnt fit in to the Cuprofit deep enough.

Anyway, no leaks, so can go back to tiling the rest of the bathroom now. Thanks again everyone, very useful and invaluable to someone with few DIY skills!!

It worked - NO LEAKS!!!

Disconnected from the isolator first, then took the old copper push fitting off.

Two mins to put the Speedfit elbow on, and then married the pipe to it. Straight in, quarter turn, collet locked in on both parts no problems.

When I came to connect it back onto the isolator, the pipe is fractionally short, maybe 3 or 4mm. I could get away with it, but I suspect that since my electrician mate fit the pipe at the isolator first, he may have cut it short, and it didnt fit in to the Cuprofit deep enough.

Anyway, no leaks, so can go back to tiling the rest of the bathroom now. Thanks again everyone, very useful and invaluable to someone with few DIY skills!!

nice to see someone letting us know how its gone and saying thank you. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to leaking copper push fits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use a push fit tap connector instead which will give me more flexibility in fitting?
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Hi Can anyone advise how the copper push fit connectors work? Is it a matter of just pushing in the pipe until it goes in as far as it can and are these connectors suitable for water and gas? Also I see that there is a special tool to release the connector if you get it wrong or not quite...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at 21.1mm) than it normally is. This means I've been unable to use the special 3/4 to 22mm compression fittings as the olive is just too loose...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock