Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Condensate Drainage Pipe- Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nnightingale85

Hello,

This is my first post and I hope you could offer me some advice please.

We recently had a new boiler fitted, the boiler and radiators are working well, but the finish is awful.

The Condensate Drainage Pipe runs externally to the soil pipe, not ideal, but were having a conservatory fitted over it.

This pipe is now leaking from the joint where it meets the soil pipe and also the elbow and other joints. The plumber is avoiding our messages and to be honest I would rather ask someone else to do the job.

I have attached a picture of the pipe, I'm no expert but should it not be one pipe at an angle?

Please could you offer advice on what I should be asking a plumber for, I need this pipe to be water tight, as its going to be boxed in in the conservatory which is supposed to be getting done in the first weeks of January.

Thank You in advance (sorry I couldnt rotate it!)

Nat photo small.JPG:)

best and looks of it best to get replaced by a good plumber/ heating eng, if that looks like that what does the rest of the install look like

photo small.JPG

Welcome to the forum Nat. There is a section of the forum where you can ask if anyone lives near you and is willing to take a look and quote just say what your postcode is and good luck.

Wouldn`t worry about the photo as we`re used to it. lol

That is appalling workmanship!

You sure that the pipemonkey was a gsr?

Welcome to the forum Nat. There is a section of the forum where you can ask if anyone lives near you and is willing to take a look and quote just say what your postcode is and good luck.

Wouldn`t worry about the photo as we`re used to it. lol

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Thanks for your advice, I will post on there later.

He was on the Gas Safe Register! And has 5* reviews online (he probably wrote them himself lol)

Thankfully the boiler and radiators are working, but the finish is shocking. That's only the start of it! Some of it is laughable, but gutted at the same time.

I am tempted to report the Gas Safe, but he knows where I live, haha.

Thanks for your advice, I will post on there later.

He was on the Gas Safe Register! And has 5* reviews online (he probably wrote them himself lol)

Thankfully the boiler and radiators are working, but the finish is shocking. That's only the start of it! Some of it is laughable, but gutted at the same time.

I am tempted to report the Gas Safe, but he knows where I live, haha.

if your unsure might be worth asking someone to check it over when they come to fix the pipe

It's mainly dodgy brickwork, but still, for £2,800 you expect a certain level of standards.

He did come back to fill in the of the holes and straighten up our towel rail. He said he couldn't make the radiator in the bedroom central to the window because of the pipes, beams and electric under the floor? We also have a radiator that moves side to side!

I'd rather a proper 'bricky' do the front of the house, so going to ask the guys who are fitting the conservatory if they can so something?

Never mind, I think we were just unlucky, but like I say, the boiler is working which is the main thing I suppose! :teeth_smile:2.JPG1.JPG3.JPG

Please can we have a pic of the boiler install? I'm fearing the worst..

I know, but it's difficult when we are new to the area and don't know anyone around here :-(

Doesn't look too bad, Its a shame some engineers let themselves down by not answering calls for a return visit. But saying that some customers can be demanding.

It's not actually as bad as I was expecting! Such a shame when jobs aren't finished off neatly. If you're not happy get him back. You haven't got to fall out with him just say you're a little unhappy with the finish of the job and you'd like these things tidied up.

We're so british! Mustn't complain or upset anyone! :smile5:

He has been back once, filled in some brick work, straightened up a radiator and moved the outside tap, but avoiding our calls this time about the pipe at the back this time. Will keep trying though!

I don't think we've been too awkward, I was nice to him when he broke one of our paving slabs, lol.

I'm glad the boiler seems OK though! You've put my mind at ease!

He has been back once, filled in some brick work, straightened up a radiator and moved the outside tap, but avoiding our calls this time about the pipe at the back this time. Will keep trying though!

I don't think we've been too awkward, I was nice to him when he broke one of our paving slabs, lol.

I'm glad the boiler seems OK though! You've put my mind at ease!

best way to tell how good he is, is find the benchmark for the boiler (normally in the back of the manufacturers instructions has he filled it out?)

Photo 3 of the brickwork at the front of the house looks pretty amazing!!!

Photo 3 of the brickwork at the front of the house looks pretty amazing!!!

maybe he ran out of bricks :D

Why not just go diagonal with condensate. Would have thought it's more prone to freezing being zigz without insulation.
install of boiler looks good.

Install of the boiler doesn't look too bad. Just a shame he couldn't finish off the making good neatly. What did you get for your £2800? You say boiler install and some rads, was it a whole new heating system?

Apprentice and Sir Alan Sugar @ 9pm...
Will the plumber win it!!

Thanks for your replies! I will try and get a pic up of the moving radiator. The £2800 got us 6 new radiators, the new boiler, all the pipe work upstairs as we only had heating downstairs, a chemical flush, and relocation of an outside tap. I'm glad the install looks good!! :)

You have rights, in fact they are really hard on us as tradesmen!

It's all part of the new Consumer Rights Act 2015

There are clear rules for what should happen if a service is not provided with reasonable care and skill

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/a...e-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/
and
Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Which?

You have the right to expect a system that works and that it should have been installed with reasonable care and skill, a 'wonky' radiator is an example of something that is not done with 'reasonable skill' a botched up wall and a leaking condensate pipe are both examples of something not done with reasonable care or skill.

If he doesn't respond within a reasonable time and put it ALL right then you have rights to reclaim costs - see above - DON'T be a pushover for bad workmanship.

See also how it affects us from our point of view :)
Consumer Rights Act 2015: How will it affect trade? | The CPA

Last edited:
To be fair you got a good amount for £2800 that would of probably just been a flush and boiler install from me. But if that's the price he quoted he should of done everything to a decent standard.

The outside tap is shocking. The pipework should be sleeved as it passes through the wall.

Only one screw holding the tap on, and I bet there's no double check valve on it either...

Trouble with all these threads is the OP describes problem, gets a few replies and tips and then doesn't come back to tell us the final outcome :( (No specific criticism to the OP here, just venting my frustration!)

Sorry Worcester, I have been away for Christmas. At the moment we're waiting to hear from the plumber...who is still ignoring us. We thought we'd give him the benefit of the doubt over Christmas. But tomorrow I'm going to be ringing another plumber to come and do the job, I will then be sending a strongly word complaint to the original plumber, and ask for some money back for the cost of the repair (optimistic I know, but it's worth a shot!)

We're getting a conservatory built in a few weeks, so I'm hoping the builders might sort the brickwork at the front.

Kay Jay, what do you mean by sleeved? That tap was originally at head height! We complained that its a bit dangerous as its right on the corner, he 'dropped it down'. I was imagining he would somehow drop it down inside and pass it through a a reasonable height!

It's so difficult living in a new place with no friends or family to recommend tradesmen.

Will keep you updated on the outcome! :)

I've just realised that the outside tap picture is the old one. I complained about it being at head height, and the shoddy brick work.

He has since filled the brick with cement and extended the pipe outside so the tap is at knee height, but there is now a big long exposed pipe outside to the tap.

He has ignored us since this!

When I say sleeved I mean the copper pipe should be run through the wall in a sleeve made from plastic overflow pipe. This is a regulation and prevents chemicals in mortar and plaster from reacting with the copper pipe which over time causes pinhole leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Condensate Drainage Pipe- Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock