Search the forum,

Discuss Leak on toilet inlet with new fill valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've fitted a new fill valve on my toilet as the old one stopped working properly.

In fitting the new one I've found the copper pipe that feeds the inlet isn't quiet straight and so pulls the valve on a slight angle.

As the new valve isn't sitting flat in the bottom of the tank so the rubber washer isn't making a seal and it's leaking around the inlet.

It's not possible to get tools around the new nut as there isn't enough clearance, and no matter how tight I'm able to get the nut (and bearing in mind the instructions say don't over tighten) it's still leaking.

What would you recommend I could do to stop the leak?

Rather than mess about cant you take the inlet back and swap for one that isnt defective?

Ive found they always leak if only hand tight so i always nip them up with a spanner or grips. The plastic back nuts can strip their threads easily though if you over tighten.

I replace them fairly regularly in work along with syphons and have never had to use any sealant.

Last edited:
Rather than mess about cant you take the inlet back and swap for one that isnt defective?

Oh I mean it's the actual pipework of the house that's not straight rather than the valve I just bought being defective.

I've just taken some photos, maybe these will help. So the pink line is the inlet pipe, it's hard to tell on the photo but it's not straight and so when tightened onto the valve it pulls it on an angle and leaks around the nut where the blue arrows are, I guess the rubber washer inside the tank isn't flat/tight.

IMG_9924.jpg

IMG_9928.jpg

Have you only tightened it finger tight then with you saying you cant get tools in there? They always leak if not tightened enough.

Could you get to it with one of these?

Adjustable Basin Wrench

ae235.jpg

Personally i would remove the cistern, tighten the inlet and then replace. Or, cut the copper pipe and replace with a flexi with a built in isolator to make things easier in future.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flexible-tap-connector-with-valve-15mm-x-mm-x-300mm/3558g

Last edited:
They always leak if not tightened enough. Could you get to it with one of these?
I tried with the new nut which I could only get finger tight, then on your advice tried the old nut which is shaped slightly different so I could get a spanner at it but even so it's still pretty hard to get at so I didn't manage to get it much tighter. Still leaky.

remove the cistern, tighten the inlet. Or, cut the copper pipe and replace with a flexi
Ha yeah I thought that might be where this is heading. I think I might just call a plumber tomorrow. It's getting a little beyond me now, it was just supposed to be a simple swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak on toilet inlet with new fill valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use a push fit tap connector instead which will give me more flexibility in fitting?
Replies
Views
Hi, as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and it was hammering constantly after filling. I turned off this stopcock, drained all the pipes, turned the taps back off and then let the water back...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, thanks for your time reading this! We have noticed a leak appearing from the built-in toilet in our main bathroom that's spreading around our floors (great start to the year!). I've removed the panel behind the flusher and can see the water inlet attaching to the Cistern is slowly...
Replies
Views
Suddenly my downstairs toilet stopped filling this week, I suspected a blockage in the filter or cistern itself, however after removal of everything it appears that there is no water coming in, its mains fed and no sign of leak anywhere , we have checked the isolation valve and its not faulty...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a leaking drain valve off the CW inlet on a Range Cylinder. Am I right in thinking I have to empty the Cylinder below the CW inlet to change the valve? To isolate cold water to the tank to prevent refill, should I just lock off the 1 stop CW inlet or all 3 red stops? Turn mains...
Replies
Views
newbie184
N
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock