Search the forum,

Discuss Leak on sink waste pipe in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink appears to be consistently dry.

The problem I have is that there appears to be a leak where the waste pipe out from the bottle trap meets the wall (which someone "helpfully" plastered or filled around so I can't see anything beyond the wall surface). I am assuming that it's because I disturbed the pipe when I pushed the new trap onto it, and that has messed up a seal somewhere, but it held for a while (more than a year) without any noticeable problem, so who knows.

2023-07-22 14.54.13.jpg

As you can see from the attached image, the paint / plaster around where the pipe goes into the wall has been cracking, presumably from being wet and drying out over and over. There's never any noticeable amount of water but I checked earlier and it was slightly wet at the bottom where the hole in the wall is.

I don't know what's inside the wall, but I'm assuming it will be the same as in another bathroom, where someone had just slid the chrome pipe inside a PVC pipe and obviously realised it wasn't a tight fit, so wrapped the end in PTFE.

What are my options here?

I imagined that I would:
  • Chisel away around the pipe with a screwdriver or something so I can see what's going on
  • If necessary, cut away some more of the plasterboard
  • Identify where the pipe join is and see if it's the same PTFE join I found previously
  • Presumably join it in some better way
I don't know if that sounds overly ambitious for someone with middling DIY skill? I would prefer it to be dealt with in one sitting because this is a sink we use all the time, so that's probably my main concern here.

What's standard practice here for installation? Surely the PVC pipe should at least come to the wall surface and then I assume there are proper ways of joining these two up.

Only way to find out as above mcalpine make adapters eg chrome to waste pipe

Reply to Leak on sink waste pipe in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock