Search the forum,

Discuss Leak from CHS mystery outdoor pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
20180122_184008.jpg
This is the side of my circa 30s house. You can see:
A. CHS drain off valve
B. Mystery pipe
C. Mystery pipe terminating into concrete, causing D. Big puddle (not labelled as pretty apparent!)

This leak happens when CHS is called, boiler pressure ultimately drops to near zero after 5-7 days. It isn't a rerouted blow off pipe - that's plumbed from the boiler straight outside on the 1st floor.

What is this mystery pipe that leaves my house and leaches water into the concrete floor outside??? Anyone know or seen this before?

Please do not scrape any more? Is the electric meter on that internal wall. Also is the Blow off pipe for the boiler directly above that pipe?

Please do not scrape any more? Is the electric meter on that internal wall. Also is the Blow off pipe for the boiler directly above that pipe?

The meter is at the other side of the house but don't worry I won't be scraping any more! The blow off isn't directly above - it's easy over a meter to the right and this puddling is very localised to my mystery pipe

are you on oil?

If it is rubber it could be electrical. If not it could be water.

do you have a outbuilding / garage ?

do you have a outbuilding / garage ?

Following from my previous post you're spot on Shaun - this must be the electrical feed for the garage - it'll run down the side of the house to the back and it's in line with the garage end of said cable I found while digging up the garden (thought at the time it wasn't running on the side I'd expected)

So, mystery cable is powering the garage and can't be the cause of the leaching water. Yet there's no sign of any other pipework leaving the house other than the drain off, which does not appear to be leaking at the valve. I'll try calling central heating and looking at internal pipework. What else could it be at this point!?

whats the piece of metal on the wall for?

I’d say it’s definately connected to your CH system
View attachment 32618 this is the internal view, so now you see the drain off on the left and the LIVE ELECTRICAL CABLE on the right. Good call on the safety reminder Harvest Fields!
further left looks like old insulation (thinking this could be another pipe that doesn’t exit to outside) also may just be the picture but it looks damp below the pipes? The answer maybe a pipe leaking from inside

I’d say it’s definately connected to your CH system

further left looks like old insulation (thinking this could be another pipe that doesn’t exit to outside) also may just be the picture but it looks damp below the pipes? The answer maybe a pipe leaking from inside

It's a right mess down there but you're right, it's generally damp to the touch where I can reach. No signs of leaks from any pipes I can see... but that would be too easy eh!

Seems to correlate with your drop of system pressure,try running the CH for hour or so an then inspecting the void you’ve opened up an alternatively check it with the system cold for couple hours.The lagged pipe I mentioned earlier seems to come down,is there a cavity that you could maybe use a mirror or phone camera to see if your leak is from further up

Seems to correlate with your drop of system pressure,try running the CH for hour or so an then inspecting the void you’ve opened up an alternatively check it with the system cold for couple hours.The lagged pipe I mentioned earlier seems to come down,is there a cavity that you could maybe use a mirror or phone camera to see if your leak is from further up

I'm afraid that's just a piece of old junk lagging - here it is from the side:
20180122_195438.jpg

Have had heating on for nearly an hour now so will try inspecting again as it cools down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak from CHS mystery outdoor pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock