Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Leak from boxed / tiled manifold enclosure in wet room - suggestions appreciated to fix it permanent in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. stephenc

stephenc New Member

As you can hopefully see from attached images, we have a boxed in enclosure housing a heating manifold.

The problem is that the water is finding it’s way in through the enclosure joints or trims and we’re endlessly sealing it up using Tec7 only to find the leak returns weeks later.

I’d really appreciate it if anyone could suggest something more permanent please. IMG_20170817_120430.jpg IMG_20170817_120446.jpg IMG_20170817_120453.jpg

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Can you remove the boxing and start again. Personally I would do that as the joins Cannot be that great to be honest if they are constantly leaking. Once the new enclosure is up I would use grout where possible and use something like a mapesil silicone sealant. But that is just me. Also also renew all other silicone joins around the area incase it is coming through somewhere else. I'm sure somebody else will be along in a moment with a different idea. Or could you possibly move the manifold to a different location?

• Like Like x 1
  3. stephenc

stephenc New Member

Yes, could probably remove the box & start again but it would be a real pain as it was expensive to have it made and tiled.

Would Tec7 not be better than both grout & mapesil?

I know it looks like it could be coming from another area but we're pretty sure it's just the box as spraying water over it alone causes the leak to occur.

I'd also wondered about some sort of PVC type enclosure running at an angle or at least with sealed edges. I can't help thinking that the chrome finish edges are expanding / contracting and eventually leaking.

4. Harvest Fields

I know what you mean about starting again. But the wooden frame underneath might be soaked and the wood might need drying or replacing dependant on its condition. Also I have never used tec7 but it clearly does not seem to be doing what you want it to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

dear o dear , shakes his head , sorry !

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Needs removing and boxing in with hardie backer waterproof board then re tiling and grouting and sealing i favour Bal products . cheers kop

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stephenc

stephenc New Member

I'm starting to think you all have a point about rebuilding. Thanks for the suggestion for Hardiebacker - just checked & our local B&Q Tradepoint have it at £14.18 inc vat / sheet.

8. Harvest Fields

Best practice really. Better then boarding or plasterboard and water resistant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. stephenc

stephenc New Member

I'm also just wondering, is there some type of an edge trim available to finish it?

And I'm assuming a wooden frame would need to be built inside the enclosure which would be fixed to the wall and floor tiles before the boarding and eventually the tiles were fixed to it?

It would probably be better if it were built at an angle so that the water would run off it - yes?