Search the forum,

Discuss Lead pipe to plastic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've been trying to get a plumber to replace about 5 meters of lead pipe that has been leaking between my kitchen and bathroom.

I've had 5 plumbers round who have all said they would give me a quote later, but it seems nobody wants to do it. The only one quote I did get was for £700.

I've dug the lead pipe out of the wall and skirting, and it is ready to cut and replace, I'm going to use plastic due to the bends in skirting and ease of installation. Do I just need a compression fitting? Shall I just cut the pipe and measure it, what plastic pipe is suitable for mains cold and hot water from a combi.

Regards

IMG_20170928_164421.jpg

You would need a transition fitting google philmac transition or you can use a lead loc measure the od of the lead to get your size

1. You need a "Lead Loc" fitting, which has a lead connector one end and a normal compression fitting the other.
2. I can't tell from the photograph what the pipe size is, but you will need an appropriate lead loc. They come in various sizes and need to match both ends.
3. Lead could be 1/2" x 6lb, 1/2" x 7lb or 3/4" x 11lb. The weight refers to the weight of a foot of the pipe, so one foot of 1/2" 6lb would weight 6lb.
4. Cut a 6 inch length out of the pipe and weight it. Double the weight. (Water off first of course). Measure the diameter. This gives you the type of lead. (Or take to plumbers merchants who should know what type / size).
5. If its 1/2" lead, suggest you use 15mm plastic pipe. If 3/4", use 22mm. Get four appropriately sized Lead Locs.
6. Cut the lead (if not already done) at each end and clean up, particularly removing any outside seam, without damaging the lead. (Stanley knife or lead knife). Chamfer the end a little.
7. Fit Lead Locs to lead. Follow manufacturer's instructions if supplied.
8. Cut the plastic pipe to length, (plastic pipe cutters, not hacksaw) with square ends. Fit pipe inserts. If using JG Speedfit, use the inserts without O rings.
9. Fit plastic to compression fittings, being careful to secure Lead Locs against rotation on the lead.
10. Pressure test if possible (probably not). Test with normal water pressure.
11. If any slight weeps, tighten as necessary.

Keys to success are getting the right Lead Locs, cleaning the lead without damage and using the correct plastic pip inserts. You will need two spanners (adjustables?) or a spanner and a set of good grips, plastic pipe cutters, Stanley knife or similar.

If you are only going to do the bits shown in the photograph, be aware there is a risk that you will have to manoeuvre the lead to get the new pipe in and it may fracture in other places.

Thank you for your response, I'm a maintenance engineer so got all the tools, was just unsure of the lead weight and pipe sizes.

Just clean the lead with some emery cloth beforehand?

I'm replacing all the lead after where it comes out of the floor to the copper in the bathroom (I'm not replacing to the stopcock because the whole floor would have to come up)

I'll start this over the weekend. Thank you for the advice.

I actually found the leak last night, coming out of an end which has been siliconed or something.

IMG_20170928_165018.jpg

Lead could be 1/2" x 6lb, 1/2" x 7lb or 3/4" x 11lb. The weight refers to the weight of a foot of the pipe, so one foot of 1/2" 6lb would weight 6lb.

Pipe is weight in lb's per Yard.
Lead sheet is in lb's per square foot.

In that case, do I cut 6 inches of lead pipe, weigh it and times it by 3 to get the required fitting weight?

1. Last plumber is quite right, its lb's per yard. My apologies for the error.
2. Their are six lots of 6 inches to the yard, so multiply by 6.
3. There is a very good thread on identifying lead sizes on Lead Pipe Sizes

1. Last plumber is quite right, its lb's per yard. My apologies for the error.
2. Their are six lots of 6 inches to the yard, so multiply by 6.
3. There is a very good thread on identifying lead sizes on Lead Pipe Sizes
Times by six, yeah my mistake. I'll update you when the house is flooded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lead pipe to plastic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock