Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord reduced heating to 4 hours in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyberbird

Hi all,

I hope somebody can please give me some central heating advice.

I live in a block of 6 flats and we have a shared central heating system with a boiler outside in its own boiler room. This boiler is about 20 years old and just keeps on working. All 6 flats have to pay a share of the bills, but it's not split evenly (seel later).

3 of the flats have gradually been bought up by the landlord and he has fitted his own combi-boilers in them and has been threatening to turn the communal boiler off. 1 other flat is considering installing a combi-boiler but 2 flats want to continue with a communal system. Well in return I've been threatening legal action if he does turn the communal boiler off and he hasn't actually turned it off but he's reduced the supply to 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. I've been to the solicitors about this and although he can't actually turn it off, it is a lot less clear (based on the wording of the lease) how many hours worth of heating he has to supply. I can apply for an injunction but it could end up with me paying £4000 of my own costs and £4000 of his costs if I lose.

Anyway, now to the central heating questions.

One of the other flat owners has suggested we share the costs of gas. The way central heating costs are worked out at present is on size of the flat. My flat only pays 8% of the communal bill. The other interested party pays 9%. The other 4 flats pay 83% between them. How accurate is this method of calculating each flats share? Would the two flats interested in carrying on with a communal boiler expect to pay the same in gas if the boiler just heated our flats?

Is it worth continuing with the current 20 year old boiler (central heating only)? How much cheaper in terms of the cost of gas would a new commercial grade boiler be?

If myself and the other flat owner decide to take over the boiler for our own use only, how important, in terms of cost of gas, would it be to minimise the pipework? Could we get away with just making sure that no radiators in the other flats are connected to the system. There are 4 one bed flats and 2 bedsits spread over 3 floors. It would seem to me that pumping all this water around the house would make it cool down quicker, or are the pipes so small that it's not worth considering?

The other option we're considering is fitting combi-boilers in our flats. Is it allowed to fit combi-boilers in bathrooms?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi. Being both a plumber and landlord my first thought on reading your post are, if you have got the four grand to bring the case to court., Why not stick it down as a deposit on your own place and get the .... out. I would also ask the question why reduce the hours if you and yours are paying the gas bill. If the landlord is charging a percentage on the gas used to finance system and boiler maintenance, the more you use the more he gets. Live and let live Good Luck

i am a plumber and landlord too. sounds like this bloke is a right tosser!. solicitors are out to make money out of you so dont go there! save your four grand for a deposit or bond and move out! find a new landlord and wave goodbye with your index and middle finger on both hands! leave your flat in good nick and you will get your deposit back. you will be wasting money paying over the odds on a 20 yr old boiler anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord reduced heating to 4 hours in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi I'm dealing with Vaillant Ecotec 824 R1 in one flat. The boiler make a very loud noise when central heating is on - this is random and occurs mostly at night. I'm sharing video showing the problem: So far we changed: 1. Expansion vessel 2. Pump 3. Water pressure gauge - analogue sensor...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi all, Our flat has communal heating and our thermostat is set so low so the heating should never be coming on. However over the last 10 months or so we've noticed the pipes under the floor, particularly in the bathroom, which are under the concrete floor and tiles, have become incredibly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock