Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyboygas

Hi lads and ladies.

Not posted since joining been thankfully mad busy. Just after some advice if anybody can, mainly, I rent a property from an estate agent and they said even though all my quals are up to date a gas engineer can not do a safety cert in his own home. Not really bothered either way, just being nosy.

Secondly, quoting for a bathroom at a village hall, anybody installed the cubicles themselves or is it best to get a joiner in?

Thanks

Nothing stopping you.
Perhaps they just see it as a conflict of interest or want to charge you 100 quid for it :p

Thankfully it's part of the rent so I don't have to pay it. Although I just thought it was pointless when I live there and could have done it for them (for a small cost) and done it properly. Didn't know whether it was a myth or if the conflict of interest comes in to play.

Also as a follow up, had a bit of a dilema over this. The bloke did not do the job correctly at all, what would you suggest? It seems obvious that you should be ringing gas safe, or would it be beneficial to speak to him (in the least condescending way possible) he is ex Bg, about 55 so should know better.

Also as a follow up, had a bit of a dilema over this. The bloke did not do the job correctly at all, what would you suggest? It seems obvious that you should be ringing gas safe, or would it be beneficial to speak to him (in the least condescending way possible) he is ex Bg, about 55 so should know better.

Ring Gas Safe if you think he's not done the job right. If you tell him yourself it may lead to confrontation.

It's because the estate agent will have an engineer who he gets a retainer fee of sorts off. Estate agent charges your for example ÂŁ100, agent keeps 20/30 quid and engineer keeps rest. If you do the job he misses out on his back hander

not that estate agents would they are a reputable bunch but its been rumoured that they get a blind monkey in give him as little as possible and then charge the owner a fortune for the llgsr

Your right billy, I don't honestly believe that would ever happen, it's just theoretical!

Believe me I'm aware of landlords and estate agents haha. 'How much?!' Seems to be there catchphrase. Ironic when they are renting out tiny boxes at ÂŁ7-800 a month. We barely get any work from estate agents now, due to charging accurately and doing the right thing in the right way, ie - the job.

Dancin, I know people cut corners, but no spillage test on cooker or boiler in bedroom, room sealed appliance granted but it's not much to check it. And also not doing a drop test, as in, not even opening the meter cupboard yet still ticking 'pass' next to the test box. I just couldn't do it personally, it's 4 mins for the sake of knowing you have done what you can.

I'd have a quiet word, iff he doesn't take it well that's his problem.

Not doing it properly at all ???

Crikey. Its not like theres loads to do anyway....
What did he not do to your liking ??

Sorry forgot to mention. Didn't do a safety device check on boiler or cooker either. It may be me getting carried away, but I like if it's a hob to whip out the oven and check the pipework.

Because as much as I would have liked to leave him be, he was a friendly bloke and wouldn't stop talking. Casing off, burner pressure checked - good. Casing back on. Checked in the loft to see if flue was clipped, again, good. Boiler done.

Gas hob, fired up, ran for 5/10 seconds, hob done. By your reaction maybe it's me being over zealous.

I check the ffd,s.only takes a minute. On cookers anyway.

Landlords cooker. Only moved in in October. Yes as it goes I always offer a brew and clear off leave them get on with it, I get customers standing over me and it doesn't really bother me as such but it can be off putting if it's something not going to plan. Kept trying to say right il leave you in peace then mate but he kept going on lol. I went for a brew and a cig in kitchen back door and he followed me in about 2 minutes after.

On the subject, does anybody else whip the ovens out? Iv found so many wrong before, ballofix on gas, cooker hoses etc.

Usually only 4 screws. I take out. Takes 2 mins and as light as a feather

My thoughts exactly Phil. Takes no time and then you know you're sorted. I'm not an angel but as far as gas and carbon monoxide go I just won't take any risks.

Secondly, quoting for a bathroom at a village hall, anybody installed the cubicles themselves or is it best to get a joiner in?

Thanks

Looks easy:
[video=youtube;TxwFQt7bGTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwFQt7bGTc[/video]

Thanks for that! Will watch when I get home, appreciate that. Of all the places to look I didn't check bloody YouTube!

I'm not reading all the old posts so I might be going over old ground.

I own and rent property and was told the same thing so I called Gas Safe and they said there is no rule that you can't own the property at all.

Simple and precise. Thanks thermological. Did think it was a bit silly, but you never know!

, but no spillage test on cooker or boiler in bedroom, room sealed appliance

. And also not doing a drop test, /QUOTE]

How can you do a spillage test on a cooker or a room sealed boiler?
Rightly or wrongly, a tightness test is not actually required on a LLGSC
Obviously, if you are going to tick the box, then you should do it.

By the way, I am about 55 and Ex Gas Board - where are you located?;)

I always say, it's not a 'spillage test' as in the smoke match method, but on a room sealed boiler or a cooker you can check it with your anton. And I have seen people talking about legal requirements ok here, how you can do a 'safety check' and not do a drop test is absolutely beyond me. I wouldn't be able to walk away from it. Just wrong. And near Crewe pal.

Dannyboygas I will tell you how you can do a LGSC and mark it safe without a TT, because it isn't part of the test, it is listed under the landlords requirements alongside service and maintenance as a recommendation but it doesn't have to be done as part of LGSC

Dannyboy, our job is hard enough without people like you making up their own rules

I'm not making up any rules turn it in, you say it as if i don't know how hard the job is? You can do whatever you want pal, as can I. Personally (as in, myself) I just wouldn't feel right doing a LSC and not doing a tightness test. It's four minutes and can save a lot of heartache later on.

I do a tightness test just for my own peace or mind. Don't want to leave a property and it have a massive leak somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Have any engineers on here purchased their gas certificate booklets from screwfix? Our landlord has been trying to evict us throughout the pandemic as we eventually had to report him to the local council for disrepair as well as lack of gas safety check throughout our tenancy. They initiated...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation. Have a bit of a question for our resident gas people, if you can possibly help me out here. The vendors seem to have lost the installation invoice, but...
Replies
Views
In Brief !! About to purchase a 2 bed apartment that was let out for the last 2 years and the landlord has done a full refurb . During a visit a neighbour came over as we left and informed us that The previous tenant had complained no Gas safe landlord cert was issued to her during her...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Looking to 'crowd-source' some public opinion on this one. I bought a studio apartment on 30th September 2022 and I'm currently working with contractors to refurbish it. I'm 39 and it is my only property (I'm no property tycoon). Next door's bathroom is on the other side of the wall to my...
Replies
Views
Morning all. Very new to this game after a 10 year hiatus. Any guidance would be much appreciated Sorry if this may seem like a silly question: when carrying out a gas safety cert in a property with a gas fire, do I need my HTR1 (which I dont have) to check integrity of the fire for the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock