Search the forum,

Discuss Ladder stabilisation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dai Williams

Hey guys my first post on here,
do any of you use any sort of ladder stabilisation? Apart from the apprentice of course

thinking about the Ankad stabilsation kit but arenas as if you need a good bit of room to set it up

I always use a stand off on the top takes the ladder from been maybe a foot wide to about 2 foot so more stable and I allways tie the bottem off so it can't pull away from wall if the roof ladder is been used I allways use a gclamp between them both too

I always use a rachet strap round the bottom and sometimes the top , either to a sturdy point or fix a anchor in the wall, if the ladder slips its you who's out of work for months if your not dead

For the sake of a 8/10mm hole in someone's wall I deffinately agree.
will be doing that when I have qualified and can work for myself!

Another one for the stand off bracket !!
Nothing to tie it to !!! well out comes the bag of sand lol

Always always always fix an anchor in at the top and at the bottom. It takes one minute per anchor and if you paint them with red oxide before you put them in the van, they're disguised enough against brickwork to stay in for next time. For the sake of a couple of minutes, it's really not worth killing yourself, and I'm really not one for Elf n Safety at all!

As as for stand offs, I had on one my extension ladders but it caught on the canopy at a McDonald's drive through and was seriously embarrassing! I got another though and now point them DOWN on the roof rack!

We use the removable anchors that sky use (well the exact ones sky use [emoji79]) also have a

83e42e33d571bbf5f2396718ade201da.jpg

Came off my ladders last year, my feet were approx 8' up. They slid away from underneath me while I was stretching to put some insulation on, spent a week on crutches then took approx three weeks before I could walk without feeling anything. First thing I bought was Timberland Pro boots then a ratchet kit to fix my ladders to the wall in future.

Just to add, coming up four years this March my business partner came off his ladders while cutting through a soil stack to move it. He died after 7 weeks in hospital....I should've known better !! Don't take the risk lads it ain't worth it.

I always remember years ago in a previous job. A lass was cleaning her lower bay windows.
Slipped and fell off ladders perhaps 4 or 5 feet as only lower windows. Broke her wrist and died from a blood clot.
Such a shame she was only late 20s.
Not that there is a good age mind.

Work safe chaps

Reading these posts , I've realised how I've adopted a" I'll be okay " kind of attitude. I fell off the top of a set of triples in my younger years, and I'm pretty sure the only reason I escaped serious injury, was my level of fitness and how malleable your bones are in your early twenties. Even given my previous accident I still clamber about like a chimp on ladders and roofs, and I've got all the tetra kit in the back of the van. Complacancy is not an excuse, I'm a pleb things may very well change next time I get the ladders out

So do you drill a hole in the house wall, screw in a hook and attach the ladder to that with a strap?

Reading this has made me realise I need to be more careful.

Thanks

So do you drill a hole in the house wall, screw in a hook and attach the ladder to that with a strap?

Reading this has made me realise I need to be more careful.

Thanks
If theres nothing suitable like a sturdy set of railings then the dill comes out

Tbh i'v'e probably been up more ladders than a roofer in my time, fell off a few using up some of my 29 lives and learned not to do it again, have all the gear, ties, clamps, stabilisers stand offs and etc, more kit than sherpa Tenzing used to get up everest cos i used to make the guys who worked for me use them cos i needed to cma. Some stuff is good and some is a liability dreamed up by cants who have never worked off a ladder.
Gotta die of something and it is all risk based with ladders. I do what i need to do and use what i need to use and you should use whatever you feel safe with too.

I fit a lot of wood burning stoves, so im always on roofs/up on ladders to fit the flues.

We always have someone footing the ladder, if we can we tie the bottom to something as well to stop it slipping out.

I tie the top of the roof ladders to the chimney and tie the bottom of the roof ladders to the top of the normal ladders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ladder stabilisation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock