Search the forum,

Discuss Knock in the pipes when valve shuts in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,
I hope you are doing well.
I have a problem. Not sure if this was always like that or something is degrading.
Whenever the toilet refills when it finishes there is a knock in the pipes. The same happens when the washing machine finishes taking water.
Is this because there is too tight on one of the elbows and the cold water pipe knocks on the floor joists? The noise is definitely between the ground and first floor where the most pipes go.
Please advise.

A couple of years ago I went to a house with the exact same problem. Pipes clanging like mad when things were flushed or taps turned on etc. The culprits were buried in the walls so no easy access to clip them. So, I fitted a shock arrester straight after the main stop tap. Silence resumed in the household plumbing again. The product code is 597801 if bought in Wolseley.
597801_wm.jpg

so is this pipes being installed incorrectly or is it that every property should have this arrestor?
It can be a symptom of a failing fill valve but seeing as you have the issue from two appliances it's probably not that. High water velocity can also cause it. Turning your stopcock down a little might stop the bang, just reducing the flow rate a little. Could also be caused by high pressure mains if you have a really good supply so a pressure reducing valve just after the stopcock could do the trick. An alternative is the shock arrestor that's been suggested here.

It can be a symptom of a failing fill valve but seeing as you have the issue from two appliances it's probably not that. High water velocity can also cause it. Turning your stopcock down a little might stop the bang, just reducing the flow rate a little. Could also be caused by high pressure mains if you have a really good supply so a pressure reducing valve just after the stopcock could do the trick. An alternative is the shock arrestor that's been suggested here.
It well could be I have opened the stopcock too much.
Thank you, I will give it a try.

Reply to Knock in the pipes when valve shuts in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock