Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen sink waste going into washing machine! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yorkieman

Hello all.

I'm hoping some one here can help. I have attached a photo of my kitchen sink waste pipe setup. The two connecters you can see are waste pipes from the washing machine and the dishwasher. When the sink above is emptied some of the waste water goes down both of these waste pipes and into the respective machines. The washing machine is the worst. We end up with waste water sloshing about in the drum. My questions are:- is there anything like a valved connecter that will stop the sink water going down into the machine waste pipes or failing that is there any other layout that would work better. The waste pipes for both machines are at about the minimum height recommended by the manufacturers.

Thanks in advance

Yorkieman

kitchen waste pipes.jpg

The very least you could do is to turn the spigots that the washing machine & dishwasher are on to face upwards & not downwards. One of the nuts on the spigot looks split anyway so you may find yourself replacing that.

Another alternative is to run independent waste feeds from the washing machine & dishwasher into a designated upstand so that there is no chance of any water siphoning into either appliance as there is an air break between the end of the pipe & any waste water.

washing maching upstandindex.jpg

The outlet pipes from the machines should rise as high as possible and then drop to the connection with the sink waste. No need for any fancy check valves, just use gravity.

the two hoses are fitted wrong they should be installed higher up and then drop down to the waste,so no back flow can occur,think of gravity,

Hello and thanks to you all for replying.

I have turned the spigots as TomLane suggested but with the waste pipes connected they will only go so far before catching on the base of the sink. The designated upstand that TomLane also suggested would require some major reworking of the plumbing. Might be what we have to do - see how things go. The U bend - rpm and Grey0609 - is clean and clear but we have always had a slow emptying sink. The water from the washing machine and dishwasher also backs up into the sink when they empty. As I say it could be a major reworking is needed. Thanks to you all once again.

Regards

You say that the sink has always been slow to empty so could it be that either the pipe has a restriction somewhere between the sink and the drains or the pipe has a very shallow fall on it?

You say that the sink has always been slow to empty so could it be that either the pipe has a restriction somewhere between the sink and the drains or the pipe has a very shallow fall on it?

Hi rpm

Yes the pipe does have a very shallow fall for part of its length. I have seen elsewhere people talking about a pumped system. Would this be any good do you know?

Well you could fit something like the Sanivite or the Grunfos sololift c3 but these are electric pumps so you can`t use them in a power cut and because the tank will eventually have food debris/ oil / fat / washing powder remains etc in the bottom which will create an odour either you or somebody like me will have to clean the tank out once a year or every two years which adds costs so firstly I would remove all the compression fittings until you only have the solid pipe to the drain then use a rubber hosepipe as a drain rod and see if you meet any resistance that you can push along to the drain or use the hose pipe with a nozzle and try jet washing the pipe. Have a towel over the end of the pipe to prevent any backflush though or you might be heading for a shower afterwards and one angry missus cleaning the floor.

Thanks for all your suggestions rpm. As I mentioned I think wee will have to have a major reworking done of the whole system. It seems we have inherited a bit of a bodge job to be honest.

Thanks once again

Yorkieman

Have you tried or could you try putting a drain auger (coil of wire) down the waste pipe after the trap to clean that out, could be part of the cause of the slow flow.

It doesnt need any special connections or fittings.
On the back of your washing machine there will/should be a plastic drain hose clip near the top of the machine. This should be well above the height of the sink connection.

I suspect your washer drain hose is just dangling at the back. It needs fixing securely at correct height.

If the clip is snapped then use a cable tie.

It is simply siphoning back in.
When the hose is fitted according to the manufacturer instructions this does not happen

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi newcastle phill. Thanks for your reply. I haven't had time yet to check behind the washing machine but I'll certainly have a look ASAP. Very simple if this is the problem. Thanks :smug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen sink waste going into washing machine! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock