Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen sink not draining. ? Airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rachael26

Help! I need some plumbing advice. 2 weeks ago our kitchen sink filled up with dishwasher water and wouldn't go down. After plunging (did not work, and broke the seal of the plug) and removing the pipes under the sink and putting a 6ft snake/spring (no blockage found) it was draining again. Then a few days a go it filled up again, not with dishwasher water, along with the downstairs toilet sink. I released the pipes and it drained again. Everything was working again until this morning and both sinks were not draining. Released the pipe below the bathroom sink and they both drained (no blockage). Any ideas how to fix it?
Moved into the house 3 years ago, redone kitchen in February (not much change to pipe work, done by brother in law) only just start having this problem. Advice gratefully received!

IMG_2263.jpg

I have no idea what that is, but here is a picture of the pipes under the kitchen sink.
And the sink isn't draining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lift the pipe from washing machine U bend to ensure 1:40 fall along pipework, in direction of flow. From photo there appears to be a backfall , and this will be source of airlock at elbow.
(The fitting to right of photo, immediately before waste disappears vertically from sight).

If the downstairs toilet sink is also experiencing the same problems, it would suggest the blockage is further downstream. Do the kitchen sink waste pipes join on to the toilet sink somewhere if so the T joint were they meet may be blocked or there may be a blockage in the drains outside and it is slowly backing up into the house.

It's definitely a partial blockage further downstream after the Bathroom sink joins in, maybe underground.

The snake will pass through a grease blockage without clearing it.

Do you have a waste disposal grinder on the kitchen sink and any problem with any toilet slow to drain in the house?
The 6ft snake could of punched a hole in a blockage of grease / fat but not cleared it completely and 2 weeks later the problem has returned?

A good indication as to whether there is a blockage in the out side drains is to flush the downstairs toilet and if it fills up nearly to the rim and then slowly goes down, more often than not the manhole cover will have to come off and the drains rodded or jetted out to clear the blockage.

Going back to original post. OP says releasing pipe below bathroom sink allows both sinks to drain. This is indicative of a Vent/Air problem.

Thank you for all your replies. There is no problem with the flush of the downstairs toilet flush. I have managed to put a 30ft snake down the pipe with no problems and it come out clean. The waste goes straight into concrete floor level. I have lifted up a man hole cover on the drive and there is a very small trickle of water (not sure whether it is a storm drain). And flushed some water down the rod eyes. I'm going to ring the sewage/council in the morning to find out where my outside drainage access is, in the hope I can flush it out. Have replaced all the pipework now and still not working properly. Any suggestions on what I can do? Don't want to have to call a plumber.
Joni os what did you mean about the pipes? I'm getting confused as the washing machine is on the left and dishwasher on the right.
Thank you.

Thank you for all your replies. There is no problem with the flush of the downstairs toilet flush. I have managed to put a 30ft snake down the pipe with no problems and it come out clean. The waste goes straight into concrete floor level. I have lifted up a man hole cover on the drive and there is a very small trickle of water (not sure whether it is a storm drain). And flushed some water down the rod eyes. I'm going to ring the sewage/council in the morning to find out where my outside drainage access is, in the hope I can flush it out. Any suggestions on what I can do? Don't want to have to call a plumber.
Joni os what did you mean about the pipes? I'm getting confused as the washing machine is on the left and dishwasher on the right.
Thank you.

I can't see a pipe with a cap. The only pipwork under the sink is pictured. Would it be anywhere else?

There is an air vent under the sink in the ensuite, which is above the downstairs toilet. Nothing outside, or in cupboards. Would that be what I'm looking for?

I have tried to get it off but can't. It is just above ground level. About the size of a side plate.

Photo shows AAV. Should be higher than sink, not at floor level, so needs extending upwards and boxing in. Top should lift out of pipe. If drainage OK with AAV removed then clean and ensure internals free to move before replacement.

I think this air vent is for downstairs. I don't think the sink above is connected to it (this sink has no drainage problems), only the downstairs ones. I'm still trying to work out the pipe work, 3 years later! The house was only built 1995.
I will try to remove and clean tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

I will try my best! If that doesn't work I'll send my husband! Haha!

I've just got home from work so I haven't touched the AAV. Although my husband has has the decking up as found the inspection eye, X3 enrtries, one seems blocked as he put the snake up 6ft and feels resistance, so he is off to buy a pressure washer drain cleaning kit tomorrow!
So, not fixed yet.

There's no way it's a blockage if the blockage released after air was allowed in

Definite aav issue IMO

I'm a bit stubborn and want to sort the problem myself. If pressure jetting and the aav doesn't solve the problem then I may have to resort to calling a plumber. Then I have the problem of finding one. (I have trust issues after boiler installation in February)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen sink not draining. ? Airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock