Search the forum,

Discuss Kingspan HP200 30 tube install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwardk

Hi, I have a 300 litre heat store and want to install a 30 tube KSpan HP200 panel.

The quotes I have locally are high so I was toying with the idea of doing it myself.

## How easy is it?
(I have done all the plumbing so far in my house - 15/22mm yorkshire etc).

I've found a roofer to move my velux slightly so I have space to fit the panel and also he will fit the panel frame.

## Is there any lead work around the piping going in to the roof ?

I've seen kits online but they don't mention the filler.

##What is a solar filler and do I need to buy one ?

Thanks,
Ed

Hi. If you get stuck for the small lead slates to weather the pipe through the roof drop me an email we do them for £24-50 a pair.

Right just got home and saw that the plumber has done this:

solar01_20110513.jpg

solar02_20110513.jpg

solar03_20110513.jpg

solar04_20110513.jpg

solar05_20110513.jpg

I was wondering if this looks ok to everyone?

I have a few concerns about water coming in through the lead pipe.
Is it normally done like this?

Concerns about the use of expanding foam and the heat from the solar flow and return too (and the leadwork!).

Concerns about the long tails which will flail around in the wind no doubt and possibly wear through the slates?

Possible concerns about the strapping in the studwork in the last pic. If it's tight then will the insulation still work (it's compressed) ? Worried about getting too hot in side the studwork.

Any comments ?
Cheers
Ed

i don't do solar but i think that looks a right dogs dinner to be honest mate. did he pipe runs on the roof really have to be that long? i wouldn't be happy with that on my roof, never mind the slates wearing away i would be concerned about the pipes breaking under movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing he's done this because he thought the manifold wasn't high enough?

I'm guessing that if I raised the solar panel brackets it would put the manifold inline with the 2nd or 3rd row of slates (instead of the 4th row from the top) and then he could take the pipes straight in.

Don't know what to do...

Looks like from the inside he would have had enough room to come down a slate with the lead work and then it would have been at the right height for the current manifold... Maybe?

I guess I either:
A - move the four brackets up so that the solar panel is higher.
Then he can take out the lead work and redo it so the pipe is not vertical.

B - move the leadwork down a slate.

Looks like the solution is to move the whole panel up a slate or two...

Would I be on sketchy ground if I asked him to re-do it?
Thanks.

(Was going to do it myself but have the whole of the rest of the house to do - I organised the roofers to come and fit the 4 panel brackets and then fitted the panel frame - the plumber was on site to confirm that it was in the right position. So he gave it the go ahead for the roofers to fit the 4 brackets (which determines the bottom of the panel - the top 2 brackets are floating).

I guess I could get away with moving the bottom two brackets if that means that the distance to the top 2 is greater than 1400mm [the range between the top and bottom must be 1400 to 1700mm]).

Frustrated !

I have fitted Kingspan HP200 tubes in fact I have them on my house . Phone Rogue traders that is an absolute disgrace !!
Ive just had another look , this must be a wind up of some sort ?

Last edited:
Total disgrace not done right at all even the tee is the wrong way round
These are the best performers on the Market at present just pity you got a total idiot to instal then get them off the roof and start again what he has done is a total joke

Ps ask justlead to show you what a lead slate should look like and I sugest you bye 2 off him and throw that in the scrap bin
I hope you have not paid for that bollxxxx show me a pic of the pumping station if he has installed it please ed

In my opinion if it was a plumber that installed that pipework he ought to do some retraining as he obvously has no clue as to what he is doing, are you sure it wasnt the roofer who did the pipe work or has the plumber actualy admitted to presenting you with this crime scene??

I've spoken to the plumber...

He said I was good to fit all the plasterboard in the bathroom inside now!
I disagreed and asked him to make the roof work right.

He wasn't happy with that.

I asked why he did it that way and he said the panel was too low.
I said the panel needed to be raised and the lead work done right - at which point he said that would be at my cost.

I pointed out that he authorised the placing of the panel.We had a bit of an argument but he's agreed to disconnect the manifold, pull the pipes back through the roof and then get the roofers to move the panel up the roof and redo the leadwork at his cost.
After his 2 week holiday....

Can someone give me a link to a photo of what the roofwork should look like and how the leadslates are meant to be fitted?
Looks like I'm going to have to watch this closely.
Thanks
StressEd

That is appalling work. I'd have doubts about the rest of the install based on that.Does he know what straight lines are?It's difficult to see how that pipework could be more untidy.

Have you paid for it all?You might be better off kicking this guy off the job and paying someone who knows what they're doing. Have you got pictures of the pumping station as Gray asked? That is just unacceptable.

I've spoken to the plumber...

He said I was good to fit all the plasterboard in the bathroom inside now!
I disagreed and asked him to make the roof work right.

He wasn't happy with that.

I asked why he did it that way and he said the panel was too low.
I said the panel needed to be raised and the lead work done right - at which point he said that would be at my cost.

I pointed out that he authorised the placing of the panel.We had a bit of an argument but he's agreed to disconnect the manifold, pull the pipes back through the roof and then get the roofers to move the panel up the roof and redo the leadwork at his cost.
After his 2 week holiday....

Can someone give me a link to a photo of what the roofwork should look like and how the leadslates are meant to be fitted?
Looks like I'm going to have to watch this closely.
Thanks
StressEd

I would say that this guy is a complete muppet if he thinks that pipework is acceptable, Anyone with half a brain in this trade knows that your only as good as your last job and he is still willing to leave that abortion on display whilst he goes on a 2 week holiday. Just out of interest what is he charging for what looks like to to me to be about 15 minutes of lash up because there is no way that he can claim that he did any actual work, you can tell him from me that my gran who died ten years ago could get out of her box and do a better job than that.

what's the betting that after his two weeks holiday he won't contact the op having "forgotten" all about the work.

No expansion vessel no blow off!!!!!
Looks a right dogs dinner total muppet I'd have him no where near it ever again

could you put up some more pics of you cylinder connections please because I am assuming it is unvented?
Also is this, (sorry I dont know what to call him because I refuse to call him plumber) muppet actualy a proper plumber or is he an apprentice who has been left to his own devices by a wayward boss?

No not finished. He is coming back (after the holiday).

#Q1 - So for the roof pipework: the pipes should come out of the manifold at each end then go about 10" or so to two lead slates, through these and then into the inside roof space, then be clipped to the rafters and connect up with the main run of pipework in the house?

#Q2 - is the metal strapping on the HT insulation and pipework ok ? It looks tight - is this an issue or not?
The reason I ask is that I have the SP pipework in the house through ducts that I am about to tile over. Am waiting on the tiling to see if this is ok or not.
Ducts:
solar_duct01.jpg

Kingspan solar are the easiest to install simple plug and play looks like this idiot jusy played with himself for a while

The metal straping is fine that's the only bit that is ok not done very neat but that bit is fine as long as this is all in one peice no joins

Not done neat? Do you mean the metal strapping or the flow of the solar pipework in the duct?
If you mean the pipework then should I be making it lay flat and carefully bending out any bumps?

I've yet to go under the floor in the front room (suspended wooden floor to left of duct picture above.
I think I'll have a wriggle under to see if there are any horrors under there.
I'm guessing it should all be nicely strapped to the underneath of the floor.

Thanks for all you help - am writing him an email to get something in writing about what we discussed on the phone this morning so there is a record if things get worse.
Thanks Ed

Yes it should be running nice and neat the strapping is fine just needs more
Your mad if you get him back that is an absolute abortion of a job looks terrible

From what your photos show I think you have to tell him you don't want him back - even given a second chance I think it's unlikley he will improve the installation up to a professional standard !

Out of interest how did you select him to do the solar install ?

Can I ask of cost for materials and labour, no way get him back and don't pay, worst I've ever seen, safety controls don't even look like they are there. Where abouts are you I'm sure someone here could help out

That is an absolute disgrace i cant believe anyone would finish a day and be proud of that at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kingspan HP200 30 tube install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock