Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss kingfisher CF 150 with aspestos flue in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

I apologise. I misconstrued your comment. I had it in my head that you meant that the calculation should be done taking the screen into account.
    Obviously, fly screen awareness IS relevant, as you say.

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Those old type plaster vents didn't have a fly screen

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

well i have come across quite a few of this type over the years that have a fly screen so best to check

Plaster Vent With Fly Screen 225mm x 75mm

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DaveTidy

DaveTidy Active Member

Agreed. There were many types of old plaster vents that came with a flyscreen stuck to the back as many of the louvres used to break easily when trying to remove them.

Generally when you had a plaster vent, you also had a terracotta vent on the outside which was very restrictive and passed very little air. The vents were large and generally too small; even the small holes in the terracotta were tapered so they looked smaller form the outside but were even smaller on the inside!

Again, many of these vents used to be blocked with cavity wall insulation. The flyscreen would stop it coming through the louvre and the terracotta would be so small they would just block.

All a bit negative but very relative; when you actually got a tape measure to the opening you would find many of them actually didn't have enough ventilation so best to check.