Search the forum,

Discuss Just completed 6035 with The Plumbing Academy/Access Training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've just completed my 6035 Level 2 Diploma (C&G) and Water Regs/Unvented Hot Water Systems (Logic) with The Plumbing Academy / Access Training and thought I'd supply some feedback.

Access Training (based in Wales) bought The Plumbing Academy (based in Kent) not too long ago and they are now in the process of getting the academy in tiptop form. Naturally, there are some kinks needing ironing but generally I found them to be a really good training centre.

The Negatives:
The materials, when doing any practical assignments, are not organised enough and are so overused that it can make tasks frustrating. Things like worn out push-fit connectors which leak water when tested etc. or having to search for 10 minutes for the fitting you need.
Because of costs, they omit certain things out, e.g. solvent-welding plastic pipe. Although not a huge pain to bear, it would have been nice to at least do it once to get some experience of how it's done etc so I'm not doing it for the first time in a clients home.
A lot of the tools are also so overused it can, at times, make practical tasks frustrating. However, I decided to bring my own tools which alleviated a lot of my frustration.
I think the most frustrating of all is trying to fit appliances to the overused walls. At times, screws would just slip out and make installation a nightmare.
The admin side of things, being dealt with by the office in Wales, is nothing short of painful. Like I said, a few kinks and an iron is all.
The computer network was shoddy. At one point, I had to redo an exam as the network played up and didn't record my answers. That being said, they have engineers on site now getting it sorted.

The Positives:
The teachers are absolutely fantastic. Very knowledgeable and very patient with brilliant sense of humours. They make the course fun whilst giving you their wealth of experience.
The practical tasks, having never done anything like this before, were brilliant. We all had our own bays and were able to work on our own installs at our own pace. Enough time is given for even the slowest of workers.
The workshop is big enough to house 2 classes (16 people) and every student has their own bay when doing appliance installs.
The class size is just the right size (maximum 8 people to a class) which enables enough one-to-one time with the tutor to answer any individual questions you might have during any of the practicals.
The centre itself is clean with a kitchen area with free tea/coffee (a god send at times).
You get to work with a wide range of materials (copper, LCS, plastic) and fittings with a wide range of appliance installs (WC, wash basin, bath, radiators, cistern and cylinder).
Enough classroom time is given with in depth explanation to the theory side of plumbing without being too much.

All in all, knowing what I know now, would I do the course again at the same centre? Absolutely yes. I shopped around for a while before booking with them and I believe them to be better than the others. My only word of warning, which can be of benefit or of annoyance, is that they do not have a uniform pricing structure. They tailor packages on an individual basis so when you talk to your classmates, you'll find out you all paid completely different prices. I lucked in with my package and got an extremely good deal so make of this what you will. Like I said, for me it was positive, for others it wasn't.

They are a business at the end of the day, and their aim is to make money whilst trying to provide the best training they can.

I'm doing another course with them in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to it. I give them a big thumbs-up and hope to see the academy grow like I think it will.

hi there, I have completed the 6035 course at a different training centre in my area and I am going to do my NVQ L2 with plumbing academy. I am waiting for them to confirm my placement hopefully in September. I wanted to know if you have any mates or know anyone who has done their NVQ L2 with them and how did it go?
many thanks

Hi,
this is exactly what it sounds like at the T4TS centre i did my same qual at (Wolves). O
ut of interest how much was the course? This will be really useful, for comparison the T4TS same course was about £3600, for a level 3 (not that i did it) i think about £5700.
Really appreciate a reply as it will help lots of guys and gals looking at the online courses.
Andy

Hi,
this is exactly what it sounds like at the T4TS centre i did my same qual at (Wolves). O
ut of interest how much was the course? This will be really useful, for comparison the T4TS same course was about £3600, for a level 3 (not that i did it) i think about £5700.
Really appreciate a reply as it will help lots of guys and gals looking at the online courses.
Andy

I paid about the same I think, £3500

Just an update really to anyone wanting to embark on one of these 6 week courses in a hope they'll leave with a well of knowledge - take my advice and spend your £3k on something worthwhile instead. All they teach you is just enough to pass the exams which, when you get into working in real houses, accounts for nothing at all!! I aced my exams with distinctions and as soon as i saw systems up close I was like 'wtf is that valve? And what does that do?' Or 'how do i fit this?'

This was after the fog just started to clear mind you.

You'll remember abut 1/3 of what they teach you because you have to cram in so much information your brain will not store in any discernible order. If I could, I'd have booked the same course at college and taken my time with it as I'm having to go through the books again!!

DO NOT SUPPORT THESE 6 WEEK COURSE PROVIDERS, they are only after your money. Trust me, I'm a victim of it!

Just an update really to anyone wanting to embark on one of these 6 week courses in a hope they'll leave with a well of knowledge - take my advice and spend your £3k on something worthwhile instead. All they teach you is just enough to pass the exams which, when you get into working in real houses, accounts for nothing at all!! I aced my exams with distinctions and as soon as i saw systems up close I was like 'wtf is that valve? And what does that do?' Or 'how do i fit this?'

This was after the fog just started to clear mind you.

You'll remember abut 1/3 of what they teach you because you have to cram in so much information your brain will not store in any discernible order. If I could, I'd have booked the same course at college and taken my time with it as I'm having to go through the books again!!

DO NOT SUPPORT THESE 6 WEEK COURSE PROVIDERS, they are only after your money. Trust me, I'm a victim of it!
Agree completely. I learn't loads, in a nice, clean roomy environment. You feel really positive.
If you are on a course, get through it, enjoy it and learn and challenge the tutors all you can.
If you are not, and you want this career. Look carefully at all options available to you before you part with any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Just completed 6035 with The Plumbing Academy/Access Training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock