Search the forum,

Discuss Joint compound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Probably a silly question to most on here, but is boss white ok to use on compression joints that carry drinking water. I thought it was but my mate thinks its non drinking water only. If this is the case what should i use on the joints for our new taps.

Thanks in advance Nigel

No, Boss White is not for drinking water, or any water you use out of your taps, so not for hot or cold.
You can get a form of Boss White for potable water, or other brands.
I like Jet Lube V2 as it does gas, or potable etc. It is non hardening but expensive, however none is therefore wasted.
Boss White is good for central heating pipes and also their iron joints

Last edited:
As above. Boss white has compounds in it that can leach into the drinking water and do you no end of harm.

I'm a jet blue fan myself, same as jet lube but rebadged by plumbcenter and is a wee bit cheaper for a larger tub.

I use Jet Blue aswell, same as the jet lube and the regin gear, but the tub is better and less prone to getting smashed which is why I use it

shhhh (still use it just dont get it inside the pipe ) its only another thing to kill you :D try boss green

Last edited:
I use jet blue or any of the other jet compounds that are out there,
makes you wonder how are parents survived the boss white and hemp poisoning epidemic what where the symptoms ?
maybe that's why my old man was such a miserable old git:wacko:

I use jet blue or any of the other jet compounds that are out there,
makes you wonder how are parents survived the boss white and hemp poisoning epidemic what where the symptoms ?
maybe that's why my old man was such a miserable old git:wacko:

Tough as old boots more like nothing like the pansy these days,

Was all Boss White with me and probably every plumber for years.
We didn't know any better. I doubt if it is very harmful.
Was also lead solder fittings for years, wiped lead joints on any burst lead water mains (although we always knew it was bad for health and replaced any entire pipes if possible).
Asbestos flue pipes, asbestos rope and fibre washers containing asbestos.

Was all Boss White with me and probably every plumber for years.
We didn't know any better. I doubt if it is very harmful.
Was also lead solder fittings for years, wiped lead joints on any burst lead water mains (although we always knew it was bad for health and replaced any entire pipes if possible).
Asbestos flue pipes, asbestos rope and fibre washers containing asbestos.

What like these :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

:D

Scary! That's the stuff! Am sure that shouldn't be lying about, but put into bags
I used to cut it using a saw blade for metal, with dust going all over.

:D remember it well :D got a few stories

:D remember it well :D got a few stories

Some idiots still connect into original asbestos flues when fitting new oil boilers.
The modern standard efficiency oil boilers still have wet flues inside and the asbestos gradually erodes inside and falls down inside the oil boiler. You then see a pyramid of asbestos dust on top of first baffle. Makes servicing them really a danger.

Some idiots still connect into original asbestos flues when fitting new oil boilers.
The modern standard efficiency oil boilers still have wet flues inside and the asbestos gradually erodes inside and falls down inside the oil boiler. You then see a pyramid of asbestos dust on top of first baffle. Makes servicing them really a danger.

Good Hoover and don't sneeze :D small doses your ok but if working with it day in day out months checks are required :(

Good Hoover and don't sneeze :D small doses your ok but if working with it day in day out months checks are required :(

Hopefully I am okay, but the oil boilers full of asbestos dust worries me because you can't avoid breathing in that dust to some extent. I don't smoke because it is bad for health, but breathing soot and perhaps even asbestos dust is a lot worse

Hopefully I am okay, but the oil boilers full of asbestos dust worries me because you can't avoid breathing in that dust to some extent. I don't smoke because it is bad for health, but breathing soot and perhaps even asbestos dust is a lot worse

Next time your in the docs ask for a test / scan as your concerned but tbh I wouldn't be that worried, be old old man (pipe fitter / tin smith ) they used to mix it in big bags and put it on with there hands and smooth off etc and he's clear just the fluxes that has killed his lungs, can't do more than 3 steps now

Makes you think is the new ab loft fibreglass;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joint compound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
A simple procedure has turned difficult. I am trying to disconnect a floor-mounted bidet so I can change the click clack waste. All is straightforward apart from disconnecting the two flexible hoses to the mixer tap. I had expected the two isolators to make this easy but was unable to turn the...
Replies
Views
Hi, The isolation valve feeding my toilet cistern was leaking. After considerable effort, I was able to lift up the cistern to put an O-ring washer around the top of the inner circle referred to with an arrow in the attached image. Unfortunately, when I let the water through, there was a burst...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock