Search the forum,

Discuss Issues with 22mm piping?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I was wondering if someone could give me a second opinion on something if possible please. So recently we had 3 new radiators fitted on our lounge ( High BTU, 4 column ). Previously the piping in this room was 15mm and 15mm through the rest of the house. The plumber suggested we upgrade the piping in this room to 22mm due to the size and BTU output of the new rads. Since he installed the new 22mm piping he has said he is struggling to get them to work properly and now we need to upgrade another room to 22mm which is linked to the boiler. The rest of the house would stay on 15mm.

The problem we have is that he now wants to upgrade another room to 22mm which will involve ripping up the floor and digging a trench for the new piping and consequently quite a bit of disruption and extra money.

What I am trying to understand is would the system simply not work on 15mm and is it vital to upgrade to 22mm? Is there not a way to have one room on 22mm and the rest on 15mm, or does it not work that way? I think we feel if we had know from the start that the 22mm would have caused extra work we would have stayed on 15mm and picked rads with a lower BTU.

I am sure the plumber is being honest but it just seems like a small job has now become a bigger one.

thanks

Ben

Maybe a long shot but some column rads have there flow and return labelled as they won't work if piped up wrong also Has he tried balancing the system

Thanks for this. He has tried to balance the system but said he could not get it to work. We did have a previous pressure upstairs in the house which has now been resolved, could this have affected things previously?

sorry meant to say we did have a previous pressure issue upstairs in the house as there was problem with the second stop tap, this has now been resolved, so I had hoped this might help resolve the issue he was having??

could I try turning on the rads to see if I can get them to work now, or do I need to fill the system up? Not sure how to do that.

If your plumber can't explain to your satisfaction why changing another room to 22mm will make any difference to the lounge then I would not proceed. First things first...

Boiler make and model, we assume you have 22mm on flow and return and ideally he connected the revised lounge pipework directly to this?
What are the combined outputs of your newly installed radiators?

Pictures would help please, tbh no offence but he sounds like a DIYer if he's left you in the doodoo.

Usually you would have 22mm from the boiler then 15mm coming off to one or two radiators
Some picture would help us understand what you are trying to describe

The lounge pipework is not directly connected to the boiler, this is what he is planning to do when he digs up the second room. I was thinking he should have known this when he started the job, hence why we are confused by the situation.

The boiler is a brand new worcester boiler, not sure of the exact model. I think the rad outputs are 4500 BTU each, so 3 in total. I can send some pics if this helps

thanks again

Ben

Without lifting boards its sometimes impossible to say
Could it be a one pipe / single pipe system?

here are the pics, let me know if you need anything else. thanks

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Do they work at all ?

well currently they are turned off, but can I just open the taps to see if they work or is there something else I have do first? Sorry I don't know much about plumbing but didn't want to try them incase you have to balance the system first?

Yes just open one rad up and go from there

Can you check ther instructions to see if they have a flow direction?

Look it up online if you know the make/model
The work looks tidy

Your guys a pudding. What was wrong with getting them brackets a couple of sections in to hide them a bit.

so far the rads have been on for 5-10 mins and still not heating up, so does this mean we will have to have the new 2mm fitted in the next room?

both valves open?

I recon you have either a blockage or air lock, 3 rads with an output of 4500 btu's each 15mm should cope with it. things you need to try first to see if water is going through when you turn on one of the new rads does any of the pipes start to get hot ?? did the old rads work B4 and what was the output on those were they single or double panel rads

so just to clarify the 3 rads are currently on 22mm, previously were standard rads on 15mm. not sure of the previous rads but but were standard size etc.

one of the rads started to get hot when the water flowed in but then seems to cool down again.

the old rads worked fine which were single column

thanks again for your helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Issues with 22mm piping?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock