Search the forum,

Discuss Isolation Valve Old Leak in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Throughout our house there are numerous isolation valves which are on almost every plumbing fixture. Clearly whoever plumbed this had a thing for using them but I have heard elsewhere that they cause problems and are prone to leaking, especially when used after long periods.

I noticed a pair under a utility room sink that clearly have leaked at some stage but appear to have sealed themselves. Given that access whilst not impossible is going to be awkward, is this likely to cause me any issues?

Appreciate the guidance. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 9
Should be fine but I wouldn’t use them ever

Thank you. I certainly don't intend to without swapping them. Are they often prone to failure / leakage in your experience?
If undisturbed they usually don't leak.
The design of them doesn't leave much room for a seal so even the better named ones tend to leak when used after long term non use.

The likelyhood of leaking is greater when they are poorly accessible and upstream isolation is not available to easilly replace them, that's thanks to Mr Sod or someone similar minded.

They are O.K when used for isolation, it's when they are turned back on and the water gets to the now disturbed and damaged seal.

Last edited:
If undisturbed they usually don't leak.
The design of them doesn't leave much room for a seal so even the better named ones tend to leak when used after long term non use.

The likelyhood of leaking is greater when they are poorly accessible and upstream isolation is not available to easilly replace them, that's thanks to Mr Sod or someone similar minded.

They are O.K when used for isolation, it's when they are turned back on and the water gets to the now disturbed and damaged seal.

That's very true re Mr Sod.

In fairness to mine, whilst I don't intend on using it, I think it's failure is related to the joint with the pipework rather than the valve itself. I'll ask my plumber to take a look when he is here and take is view. I've got a few jobs for him to tend to.

So... to come back to this thread, I think I now not the likely cause... These valves are located in a utility room cupboard next to a condensing tumble dryer. Today I noticed, the inevitably warm and moist air condenses on the cold pipes and these valves. Not enough to form a puddle but enough for a dew. I imagine over months / years this may have caused those deposits to form.

Reply to Isolation Valve Old Leak in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock