Discuss isolating mains water to building stop valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a installer out fitting a new kitchen and doing a few mods to the existing pipe work. one of which requires turning off the mains water supply to the building in order to move the location of the cold feed stopcock located in the kitchen.

The fitter said he wasn't able to isolate the supply to the building and he'd have to get a special key in order to do this....

I went and had a look at the meter/mains valve myself and it looks like this

upload_2018-2-20_21-51-6.png

upload_2018-2-20_21-52-27.png

unless im missing something is it not just a case of turning the handle to isolate the supply?

I noticed that there are some tabs that can be seen behind the main body/face of the meter so maybe that's something?

If anyone's familiar with this type of valve/meter pictured it would be good to know what might be needed and where i might be able to get it if need be

upload_2018-2-20_21-52-16.png

Unless it’s seized and he’s getting something to help him turn it

If the Installer can't cope with turning off the street stopcock, then should he/she be altering pipework in the house?

For special key read, piece of pipe or even timber with a slot cut in the end, test it on the internal stop tap first to get the cut correct.

Do you live in a flat or house ?

And when the cold water is running do the dials turn on the meter ?

If the stopcock is seized contact your water company to free it off i had the same problem a few weeks ago Essex and suffolk water snapped the valve off trying to close it so had to replace it , once this is sorted you can then work on the internal stopcock and pipework . cheers kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to isolating mains water to building stop valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back