Search the forum,

Discuss is time served the same as an apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryster

I didnt do a formal apprenticship coz i was too old and left it too long in life to decide but am certainly time served lol.

I have a massive problem with that line there, if you didnt do an apprenticeship, to me you're not time served.

Anyway, congratulations on passing, Its an absolute pain in the arse but a massive weight off your shoulders once you do finally get it all done!

Re: Passed!!!

I have a massive problem with that line there, if you didnt do an apprenticeship, to me you're not time served.
wrong there ryster!.
you can be apprentice trained or time served.
time served actually refers to the true meaning that some one has spent 'time' with a 'master' learning the trade, certs dont come into it.

Apprenticeship is a system of training a new generation of practitioners of a skill. Apprentices (or in early modern usage "prentices") or proteges build their careers from apprenticeships. Most of their training is done while working for an employer who helps the apprentices learn their trade, in exchange for their continuing labour for an agreed period after they become skilled. Theoretical education may also be involved, informally via the workplace and/or by attending college while still being paid by the employer, but not mandatory=timeserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

well said redsaw mate, dont see how me not doing an apprentiship doesnt make me time served. Not everyone can get on an apprentiship and there seems to be a pattern now that unless u have done a 5 year apprentiship your not up to scratch, i dont agree at all. I have spent time with engineers that have done full apprentiships and they would not know their rse from there elbow, some on the other hand are excellent.

well said redsaw mate, dont see how me not doing an apprentiship doesnt make me time served. Not everyone can get on an apprentiship and there seems to be a pattern now that unless u have done a 5 year apprentiship your not up to scratch, i dont agree at all. I have spent time with engineers that have done full apprentiships and they would not know their arse from there elbow, some on the other hand are excellent.

Well said and very true mate

You two missed what I said "to me".All im saying is that to me you're not time served, simples. Anyway, once again...well done for passing!

You two missed what I said "to me".All im saying is that to me you're not time served, simples. Anyway, once again...well done for passing!

No I didn't miss it time served iv seen boys do 5 years and still don't know what there doing
And iv seen a bloke after a year working was the dogs

No I didn't miss it time served iv seen boys do 5 years and still don't know what there doingAnd iv seen a bloke after a year working was the dogs
I'm not going to argue with you. The majority of people I have worked with over the years agree with me. No apprentice not time served.The people who usually don't agree are either adult trainees, didn't do an apprenticeship themselves or have been lucky enough to work with people who all know what they are doing.Anyway you crack on saying I'm wrong.

I'm not going to argue with you. The majority of people I have worked with over the years agree with me. No apprentice not time served.The people who usually don't agree are either adult trainees, didn't do an apprenticeship themselves or have been lucky enough to work with people who all know what they are doing.Anyway you crack on saying I'm wrong.

Don't worry I will

Don't worry I will
I have no doubt you will!You're one of the very few people that did an apprenticeship as a young lad that disagrees with me then! I'm presuming you did an apprenticeship when you were younger?

You recon mate you don't know what I can or can't do But I'm not bigoted and small minded
Im not questioning your ability at all.What I'm saying is that to me, unless at 16/17/18 you spent 4 years carrying bogs upstairs, making cups of tea, going to the shop at brew time for everyone, going to college for day or block release and spending them years with people who showed you what to then you didn't do a proper apprenticeship and thus, in my eyes are not time served.I hardly believe that you came out the Forces then spent 4 years having pants pulled down and boss White smeared on your cock?You obviously feel your time served, to me your just another adult trainee who decided they wanted to have a go at plumbing and went to night school.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

LolNo I did my get any of that done to me sorry didn't realise that getting made to look a fool made you a good plumber I have spent allot of years learning and still do every day I fit solid fuelI fit oil boilerI fit gas mainly LPG I fit underfloor heating I fit solarI fit unvented I fit log boilers (gasification)I fit wood pellet boilersI fit wood chip boilers So I guess I class myself as time served I fit solarAnd I didn't go to night school lol
You seemQuite keen to prove what you can do, when I'm not questioning that.As for being made to look a fool, well it's not like that at all but being an adult trainee you probably wouldn't appreciate that's part of an apprenticeship.Anyway, you're right and I'm wrong, ok?

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Time served or not it's still the unqualified cowboy undercutting and taking all the work. But I would put time served as five years on the tools. But that's just me.

Lol if you think that's learning then that's into you mateI spent 10 years in army so yes I do know that people think making a fool out of youg kids makes them think there big if your from that breed of person then that's upto you, not my mentality having a lagh is fine but being degrading is pathetic
I had all sorts done when I was an apprentice, have I done it to young lads myself? No I have not.Like I have said I'm not questioning your ability, but to me timeserved is doing a proper 4 year apprenticeship, not a 1 year college course followed by a few years working with a mate doing and learning everything you want to do.

Time served = aprenticeship, I try to avoid saying iam time served as they think Ive been in prison.

The realivate posts from another thread have been moved to this thread as off topic in original thread and very disrespectful to the op of existing thread which is about his dedication and success in our trade
however posts in question raise some valid issues ,see if they can be debated in a calm manor on topic and away from personal remarks
thank you

I done an apprenticeship and didnt get boss white smeared on my johnstone or made a fool of, i wouldn't stand for it either tbh. Had a bit of banter yes but i gave as good as i got.

I did though work for cheap labour and go to shops make tea etc, but I know guys who havent done an apprenticeship but can be classed as a plumber because they have been in the industry long enough and assessed on site

Keeping it as simple as possible, to me timeserved is going to college for four years once a week or doing block release as a 16/17/18 year old.To me timeserved IS NOT going to college for a year then doing a few years on the tools as a 28 year old who spent his previous years working or doing something else and decided he wanted to give plumbing a go.I dont have a problem with people who decide they want to give plumbing a go, every credit for trying to better yourself, butTo me if you do that you willNever be timeserved.

In regards to ryster.I served a 4 year apprenticeship and I was treated rubbish, I have just taken on an lad and wouldn't treat him the way I was. They are there to learn and eventually make you money. But I know lads who used there redundancy to become a plumbe (intensive) and ring me constantly because they don't have a clue outside of there collage cubical. I'm proud to be a time served tradesman. Keep up the good work

So go on tell us what can a so called time served plumber do that your definition of a non time sever plumber can do

You can learn a lot more in 4 years as time served than in 6 weeks. Had a guy wiv me doin an intensive gas course few months back. He couldn't even do a let by test.

In regards to ryster.I served a 4 year apprenticeship and I was treated rubbish, I have just taken on an lad and wouldn't treat him the way I was. They are there to learn and eventually make you money. But I know lads who used there redundancy to become a plumbe (intensive) and ring me constantly because they don't have a clue outside of there collage cubical. I'm proud to be a time served tradesman. Keep up the good work
Exactly.Also with regard to apprentices, I have never treated one the way I was. A building site was a different place to now 20 years ago. I wouldn't do half the stuff I saw young lads get done. Also I never had boss White on myCock, I did see it done though!Same as above banter and general joking about at my expense was the norm, like above I gave as good as I got!I honestly don't believe that unless you have gone through that whilst learning your trade on site and at college for Four years you cannot call yourself timeserved. I also usually find that the only people who disagree with this are the adult trainees and ones who never did a proper apprenticeship.

So go on tell us what can a so called time served plumber do that your definition of a non time sever plumber can do
You seem to be missing the point. To me To call yourself timeserved you need have served your time, which is a proper 4 year apprenticeship as a young lad, not a one year college course.

Exactly.Also with regard to apprentices, I have never treated one the way I was. A building site was a different place to now 20 years ago. I wouldn't do half the stuff I saw young lads get done. Also I never had boss White on myCock, I did see it done though!Same as above ****taking, banter and general joking about at my expense was the norm, like above I gave as good as I got!I honestly don't believe that unless you have gone through that whilst learning your trade on site and at college for Four years you cannot call yourself timeserved. I also usually find that the only people who disagree with this are the adult trainees and ones who never did a proper apprenticeship.

So iv been plumbing over 10 years now is not time served?
I did do the collage time also
Not 6week course lol

Keeping it as simple as possible, to me timeserved is going to college for four years once a week or doing block release as a 16/17/18 year old.To me timeserved IS NOT going to college for a year then doing a few years on the tools as a 28 year old who spent his previous years working or doing something else and decided he wanted to give plumbing a go.I dont have a problem with people who decide they want to give plumbing a go, every credit for trying to better yourself, butTo me if you do that you willNever be timeserved.

you want to be called time served plumber ,well we all will do !
I am not one but this do not make me fill angry about it and if have a problem with this kind of object than please better do not give your attitude here as we are not here for arguing we are hear to make our lives easier if possible and just have some fun !

served or not ,at the end of the day is down to every ones destiny in live and you can not be judge them for this !!!!

To be fair pal, nobody is giving any attitude. It's a forum where people have different views. Nobody has become an idiot about it and started name calling so I don't see the problem with a decent conversation on here really.Also I'm not having a go at ANYONE. If somebody decides to take up plumbing at 30 then as I said, every credit and best of luck.Interesting that you dont consider yourself timeserved though!

To be fair pal, nobody is giving any attitude. It's a forum where people have different views. Nobody has become an idiot about it and started name calling so I don't see the problem with a decent conversation on here really.Also I'm not having a go at ANYONE. If somebody decides to take up plumbing at 30 then as I said, every credit and best of luck.Interesting that you dont consider yourself timeserved though!

I am just honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is time served the same as an apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock