Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Is this pressure ok?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by DanUK, May 17, 2018.

Discuss Is this pressure ok? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Yea, the stopcock installed higher is fine, but the lower stopcock should not be installed at all, in my opinion.
    As to the pipes to the tundish, - distance is too long.
    If you have a decent G3 qualified plumber, then get them to look at everything including all my points

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DanUK

DanUK Member

thanks. Is it ‘bad’ or not ideal? Should I spend money getting it sorted or is it just not designed that well?

As for the pressure - is 3.5 ok or is that also worrying?

Thanks for your help!

3. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

3.5 bar is ok if that is the only fault.
    But you need the rest of things sorted, so get them looked at by a G3 unvented qualified plumber who will tell you what has to be modified. I suggest you send all the above photos to them, so that they can come prepared to fix it on one visit.
    Overheat is the real danger of unvented units, but other issues though they may not require everything to be shut off for safety, they are still safety faults and any G3 plumber or knowledgable building inspector will want them fixed.
    Nothing too difficult though

4. DanUK

DanUK Member

Thank you!

I live in a conversion and all the apartments (24 of them) have the same setup. Are they bad enough to be worrying? If so should I tell other neighbours?

5. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I am feeling confused about some unvented regs, but as far as I recall, what I said on 2 points is correct, so best you get a second opinion.
    Unfortunately there so far hasn’t been someone on here to confirm.
    No valve should be installed between combination valve and cylinder.
    Discharge pipe (called D1) from cylinder to the tundish has to be a maximum of 600mm

• Like Like x 2
  6. DanUK

DanUK Member

7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

the d1 is more of a problem than the stop tap but both needs addressing

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. DanUK

DanUK Member

Thanks Shaun.

Is it something dangerous or poorly designed? Trying to understand if it’s something all my neighbours need to do too and whether it’s somethibg terribly dangerous or just not ideal?

9. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

lets put it this way its not to regs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DanUK

DanUK Member

Are they new regs? The conversion was done 11 years ago. Just wondering if it’s sonething I should raise as an issue through the agent who manages the building as there’s a mixture of owned and rented apartments ?

11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

The unnecessary lower stopcock, if turned off, would remove the function of the pressure relief valve, so daft.
    The D1 pipe might not take the volume of water in an overheat or overpressure situation, because it is much longer than 600mm.
    All just theoretical risks, but rules are there for good reasons

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Actually the rules were, if anything, slightly more stringent 11 years ago.
    The D1 maximum measurement has been previously 500mm

13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

No big deal, just needs brought up to within regs.
    Very common to find faults

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

My advice get a G3 Engineer in expansion vessel shows signs of leakage and the pipework could do tidying up as best said the lower stopcock should not be there . cheers kop

15. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

That lower stopcock may act as a non-return valve even when not fully closed. It's probably not actually working as a non-return and probably is allowing expansion water to move back up the system but I really don't like "probably" when it comes to unvented cylinders and their safety devices.

• Like Like x 1