Search the forum,

Discuss Is this immersion heater washer made of asbestos? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

Whilst replacing my immersion heater, I came across this washer.

IMAG4486.jpg IMAG4492.jpg

Is it made of asbestos? Is there a way of telling?

The cylinder must be from the 60's or 70's, but I'm assuming the heating element has been changed since then. The existing one's been in place since 2006 at least, but the installer could always have retained the existing washer.

Many thanks for reading.

Fibre washer

Is it made of asbestos? Is there a way of telling?

Impossible to be sure without getting it tested. It looks to me like a fibre washer that has a coating of corrosion from being in contact with bronze.

You are wise to be cautious, however, asbestos was included some gaskets for many years, until sometime in the early 80s IIRC.

I'd make sure it was kept damp, remove it wearing plastic gloves, double bag it along with the gloves, label it 'Asbestos (suspected, not tested)' and take it to your local council facility who will dispose of it safely.

It does look like a fibre washer so probably harmless.

However, as chuck said, asbestos was used as an ingredient in that type of washer some time ago, (not all but some). Treat it with caution. keep it wet whilst you remove it and dispose of it correctly unless you're certain it doesn't contain any.

Asbestos is in more things than people realise.

Commercial Pump Gaskets that are donkeys years old can be one to watch, especially when you need to scrape them off a flange face.

If i am in doubt I would wet them with a PVA solution so it seals better for when it starts to dry out again.

Lurking dangers !!!!

Looks like fibre washer and in good order.
Asbestos washers tended to be white or tan in colour, but you never can be sure.

Thanks a lot for all the contributions.

On close inspection, the pattern on the washer does look uncannily similar to the one on the washer that came with the new heating element.

IMAG4518.jpg

The washer has now been removed. I followed the advice given, just to be sure. I also covered the washer with a plastic bag and snapped it off from the outside. Unfortunately, one of the pieces flipped backwards. Cue lots of fun trying to fish it out of the cylinder with a torch taped to slotted spoon.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this immersion heater washer made of asbestos? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Good evening everyone :), I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a smart meter installed. The dual immersion heater and has two separate switches - one is labelled top. I’ve had them both on since moving in but just seen...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm just after some knowledge to something i came across today. I was asked how a direct unvented cylinder worked in an apartment a few doors down to where i was working. The couple just moved in and wanted some advice, They had only been in the apartment for two days and used to have a...
Replies
Views
Current boiler Worcester Greenstar 30CDi installed Aug 2011. Started showing error EA. Initially a rest made it work again but last Thursday it would reset but then showed the same error after a few minutes. No heating (only problem is heated towel rail does not heat) but also no hot water. Then...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I should start off by stating that I'm not in the industry - I'm just a DIYer with a "what-if" idea. Hybrid systems and solar diverters are nothing new, but as far as I can see the current hybrid systems all require a change of boiler and I'm going to propose a system which could use...
Replies
Views
Hi all At the moment I am living in misery and need some help/advice. This is my story: Both the elements in my hot water cylinder has died, they`ve been replaced several times over the years but unfortunately the last time this was done the "plumber" cracked the seal and I been told no...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock