Search the forum,

Discuss Is this guy too expensive or am I too cheap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of them are just a call out (first hour or so)

£95 labour only to change a kitchen tap, £110 labour to change a bar mixer.

30-45 mins jobs normally. Just don't think I could charge that.

Excellent. Well I know from experience that - for whatever combination of reasons - if I charge those amounts I will lose too much work/too many customers. But I think I def need to raise my rates..

The problem I think I'll find is labour charges above £50-£60 (where it's obvious it's just labour because little or no parts supplied) for jobs that couldn't take more than 30-60 mins if tried. They make up 90% of my work and so it would be very beneficial to make more on them. I guess I could try never less than £65 or something.

You just need to decide on an hourly rate and stick to it, minimum charge of 1 hour whether the job takes 5 mins or the full hour. That then covers travel time etc. If you haven't changed your prices in 7 years then I think its time you did. Brighton is a very wealthy area and you can charge good money for doing a good job.

His bath taps price seems cheap! I hate bath taps, they can tuck you up easily.

I had some lino laid other day only small area took them longer to park the van on the drive.
Done dusted in minutes 40 quid and that's from what most call a lesser trade.

If your plumbing and not charging at least 50 first hour then either up prices or go on the cards.

I had some lino laid other day only small area took them longer to park the van on the drive.
Done dusted in minutes 40 quid and that's from what most call a lesser trade.

If your plumbing and not charging at least 50 first hour then either up prices or go on the cards.
I think there is quite a small line between being expensive and cheap. I believe it is about supply and demand. Everyone is value for money when they first go self employed. (As work is slow) But once you have a good client base and the demand is there, the prices should go up. Otherwise you spend your day chasing your tail for next to nothing.

£380 labour for a bath blimey that's what I would charge for 12.5 hours work could easy fit three baths inc removal of Old ones in that time .....brum

£380 labour for a bath blimey that's what I would charge for 12.5 hours work could easy fit three baths inc removal of Old ones in that time ...brum
Depends on what's involved. If you're working in a tight space, perhaps having to move large items of furniture, removing and refitting panelling, removing and refitting a shower screen, supporting the new bath properly where the old one wasn't, and sealing to a wall that isn't anywhere near square and where the tiling finishes below the bath, and clearing up, then it can take a couple of days.

I know the website just says 'replace bath', but I see very few straightforward bath installations in Essex.

Depends on what's involved. If you're working in a tight space, perhaps having to move large items of furniture, removing and refitting panelling, removing and refitting a shower screen, supporting the new bath properly where the old one wasn't, and sealing to a wall that isn't anywhere near square and where the tiling finishes below the bath, and clearing up, then it can take a couple of days.

I know the website just says 'replace bath', but I see very few straightforward bath installations in Essex.

This raises a great point in that websites should always dumb everything down. "Replace Bath" to a customer is exactly how Brum mentioned it. If it were my website i'd definitely be explaining what can be involved, exactly how you say it Ric2013. They would be better off stating a 1st hour charge and an hourly thereafter.

Not that this is anyones website on here, but yeah. It's actually made me think twice on some wording on my website!

Last edited:
Excellent. Well I know from experience that - for whatever combination of reasons - if I charge those amounts I will lose too much work/too many customers. But I think I def need to raise my rates..

The problem I think I'll find is labour charges above £50-£60 (where it's obvious it's just labour because little or no parts supplied) for jobs that couldn't take more than 30-60 mins if tried. They make up 90% of my work and so it would be very beneficial to make more on them. I guess I could try never less than £65 or something.

Your customers are paying for your time, skill, knowledge, qualifications and experience.
I know some small jobs seem easy to us but they are generally things that the customer has no hope in hell of attempting.

I would definitely recommend having a minimum charge and sticking to it.
Do you charge the customer there and then or do you send an invoice?

Your customers are paying for your time, skill, knowledge, qualifications and experience.
I know some small jobs seem easy to us but they are generally things that the customer has no hope in hell of attempting.
Agree. I remember being about 14 and changing the washer on a 1960s BS1010 bath tap. The stuck capstan head, the stuck shroud, getting the main tap body nut undone. Everything was seized. But we hadn't money for a plumber and the tap was annoying me.

When I went to do one for someone recently, I said she was lucky to have called me as we aren't actually taught in college how to do these in real life as everything in college has already been serviced several times. Full tap overhaul, cleaned up and invoiced within the hour. Took me all weekend the first time round.

Agree. I remember being about 14 and changing the washer on a 1960s BS1010 bath tap. The stuck capstan head, the stuck shroud, getting the main tap body nut undone. Everything was seized. But we hadn't money for a plumber and the tap was annoying me.

When I went to do one for someone recently, I said she was lucky to have called me as we aren't actually taught in college how to do these in real life as everything in college has already been serviced several times. Full tap overhaul, cleaned up and invoiced within the hour. Took me all weekend the first time round.

I remember a customer who had a white basin, but rest of bathroom suite, bath and toilet, were coloured. Customer explained that he had in the past attempted to replace a washer on his basin tap. He hadn't realised the basin had the square tap holes and the tap had lugs. He used a spanner on the tap and it spun and split the basin. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this guy too expensive or am I too cheap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock